Computer

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The place I work at recently switched from Symantec Antivirus to McAfee, and for whatever reason a lot of PC's have been getting viruses. It could be a misconfiguration of McAfee, or it could be that Symantec was just better.

If I was a Windows user, I'd just use the Microsoft Security Essentials. From what I have seen in tests it's stacked up nicely against payware antivirus.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don't ya just hate it when you start installing something, then go away to do tie rod ends and come back to find the computer asking you a question instead of completing the task? I have Comcast and they provide McAfee for free on my PC. I never noticed them offering Norton. Is that a Mac thing and is it really true that Mac's don't get viruses?

Not much of a problem with a Mac not installing without attending to it but I feel your pain. My wife and daughter use Windows and I have had that happen to me often. Mac's rarely get viruses but it does happen. I have never used a virus program and have had no problems. I should have not even installed Norton earlier this week.

Today, I reinstalled the system over the previous one and it still would not boot up. So I erased the Mac partition, installed again, and it still would not boot. So I then erased the complete drive, reinstalled, and it worked. However the hard drive would not show on the desktop. After searching around on the web I found that on a Mac in Finder/preferences, there is an option to hide the drive. I have never in all the years I have owned a Mac had the hard drive preferences hide the drive. Why this time is beyond me. Anyway, I then had to reinstall all the software from my external drive and tomorrow I have to partition it and install Windows in Boot Camp. I need Windows for a few programs I have found that help me with my stone searching.

I replaced the tie rod end in my car and the noise is gone. It was in really bad shape and needed to be replaced right away. I am sure that is one of the reasons I was having steering problems on sharp curves. I purchased the other side and will do that next weekend. I had to drive around and take the wheel off quite a few times to align the wheel and I want to give it a week to see if it is tracking the way it should before I do the other one. My neck is sore from being under the car fixing various things. Jessica drained the oil and helped me with the tie rod saving me some time and energy.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow Guy, it's a shame you had to spend such a beautiful day on this kind of stuff. That is really outrageous about Norton. Long ago I decided that Norton itself was a "virus", and this seems to confirm that.

During the MacOS 9 era there were a few viruses, but even since they switched to the unix-based MacOSX operating system there have been very few issues. I have never used antivirus software on my Macs.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do any of you have a good source for a connector to take my DB9 serial connector on the Garmin wire to USB?

IMG_4911_1.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have one Bob. I use it on my old GPS but I have not used that since I got my new one almost 2 years ago. If you need it you can have it.

IMG_4196.jpg

Here it is together. For some reason I had problems getting this photo to display so it is a little large.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/03212010/IMG_4195.jpg

I also have the Windows drivers. It came on one of the really small CD's and I converted it to a regular size CD before I got rid of my old computer that had the small slot for them.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you want it I will first see if Jennifer will load it into her Windows 7 to see if the drivers work on that OS. The drivers are pretty old.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I did not find the large CD with the drivers, but I did find the little CD. Unfortunately, I don't have a CD tray that works with it but my brother does. I will have to go there one day and burn it to a large CD and try it in Jennifer's computer. The CD says Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

Guy

Attachments

• IMG_4197..JPG
    IMG_4197..JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 268

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

I did not find the large CD with the drivers, but I did find the little CD. Unfortunately, I don't have a CD tray that works with it but my brother does. I will have to go there one day and burn it to a large CD and try it in Jennifer's computer. The CD says Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.

Guy

Aww, that's alright Guy. Don't go to all that trouble. I'll look around, maybe staples. Radio Shack did not have one.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Whoa! $39 on Radio shack. That is steep!

Hey Guy, I wonder if the manufacturer of your connector has a website with updates to download.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will look for a driver. Just give me a little time.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I get along just fine with 4GB of RAM and I usually have a fair amount of apps open.

This thread came to mind as I was using Garmin's "BaseCamp" software this weekend to download aerial imagery. This program is really RAM-hungry and is evidently much happier in a 64 bit environment. On Garmin's forums, users of 32 bit operating systems are having lots of problems. I have been fine under Vista 64 with 6GB of RAM.... until I had over 6GB of imagery loaded into BaseCamp. When I reached 7.5GB of imagery the program became really slow and unstable, and brought everything else to a crawl on my PC. Users of 32 bit operating systems seem to have this problem after downloading much smaller amount of imagery.

Task Manager showed it used 3.7GB of memory and as much as 65% CPU. I offloaded a bunch of the images to a 16GB card in my GPS and the program became more usable again. In Garmin's support forums, the developers say they are working on the RAM issues.

So if you are thinking about using BirdsEye with Garmin's new GPS'es then it looks like a fast 64 bit system with lots of RAM is the way to go. Garmin also says that a fast disk will provide a noticeable performance increase.