Coyote searching

Andy1833

Jul 11, 2017
Williamstown, New Jersey
Hi all. I just joined the forums. I've been out hiking in Wharton and all up and down the Batona Trail multiple times. But I've only ever seen a coyote once while I was driving out along 206 one evening a few years ago. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on ways to find spots or get an idea of where to hangout to possibly get good picture shots of coyotes out in the pines. And I have an unrelated side question - when I made my account I accidentally didn't capitalize the 'a' in my username and it is slightly erking me. Is there a way I can edit it to capitalize the a?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe I made the A change. First time I have edited a name.
Set up a game camera in various upland locations and find the place that you get the best results.

Reactions: Andy1833

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Welcome to the site.

The Eastern Coyote is as elusive as any animal in the woods can be. They have an incredible sense of smell, hearing and eyesight. I have hunted them and snared them and using an electronic caller is probably the only way you are going to just have one run up to you for a photo op. You would have to be well camouflaged, hidden and as scent free as possible. You could also use Teegate's method of finding an area where they are located and set a game camera.

To determine where a population may be located, you could listen at night, although they are not always vocal. They are very transient too which makes it even more difficult. You can look for tracks in wet or dried mud or for pad tracks in soft sand. The tracks will appear as if a dog walked a chalk line. Their claws are thin and knife-like and leave a distinctive mark in mud. You can also look for scat which is dog-like and usually loaded with hair.

Seeing a coyote while walking through the woods happens very infrequently because they knew you were coming long before you got there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
One thing you can do which may work if your very quiet and camoed is Phish,that is make sounds by sucking on the back of your hand which mimic a wounded rabbit or mouse.Aslo hang a feather from a tree and let it spin in the breeze.Such tactics can bring in Bobcat,fox and many other predators as well.Also jacking coyotes with recordings may work but in some areas may be illegal.

Reactions: Andy1833