Coyote Town

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I had three close encounters with coyotes this fall, and I now howl back at them, even at close range in the dark. Early one morning, in pitch dark I heard one "talking", and I howled at him. A minute or two later I heard the pack yipping on the other side of the river. A couple of weeks later, another one was sounding off at me when I got out of my car, and he was very close. One ran if front of my headlights around that time, also in the dark.

According to Emile Devito deer are the biggest threat to the Pine Barrens, at 20 times the number that would be considered sustainable. A saw a post where a notable farmer indicated that he believes coyote are feeding on deer. I've seen some others doubt whether coyote are hunting in packs and taking down deer.

I love hearing them, I hope hunters take the deer and pass on the coyote.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Coyote numbers are way up and deer numbers are way down in the pines. And yes the coyotes in the pines do pack up and bring down a deer. Like Bob said they nip at rear legs until the animal falls then it's game over.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Deer population chart according to NJDEP Environmental Trends up to 2018 (before Epizootic Hemorrahagic Disease).

1672921761465.png

auto

Feb 14, 2014
As for deer, there's one too many. The one I hit on Rt55 on my street bike.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks for the correction Scott.

Emile Devito wrote an article in Sept, 2020. Excerpt: "population of deer has swelled to 20 times ... or more. They have almost no natural predators, and the... State... is like a smorgasbord. ...deer herds are eating NJ alive... destroying... fragile ecosystems".

Do you think packs of coyote are hunting adult white tailed deer? I would think that would be a good thing.

Bob: Sorry, I did not mean to take your original post off track. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I told you my memory is aging. Here is thread from 2007 when EHD was bad along the Mullica.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe