Coyotes today

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was riding the motorcyle today on a very cool single track (enduro) trail in what appeared to be a former C.C.C. camp nursery. I was in pretty deep. well, I came around a turn and, low and behold, there was a young coyote. He ran about 25 yards and then turned and studyed me. I did the same. He was young, not a puppy, but nowhere near full size. He eventually retreated.

I moved on down the trail and only a short distance I came across another coyote. This one was younger but still beyond puppy stage. I was kicking myself for not having a camera but I rarely take one with me when I take my motorcyle on tight trails. This coyote was a bit more fearful and didn't hang around quite as long.

I made my way to a clearing and realized that I did have my camera phone. (which I never use as a camera). So, I decided to leave the bike and walk back into the thick of the woods knowing I had a very slim chance of getting a picture.

Well, I stayed real low and kept to the trail to pretty much eliminate noise in the soft sand. Sure enough I spotted them, four of them, all young but of varying age and size. they had there tails to me. Even with four of them their size was not the least bit intimadating. I manged to get a little closer and then I rose above the bushes and prepared to take my picture. the "beep" of the camera phone alerted them however, I did get a picture as they scattered. the largest one of the bunch stopped and turned toward me and I got another picture.

The sad bit, is that I remembered why I never use the camera on my phone...I can't send it to my computer. I guess because I don't have texting. I may have to get texting now so I can see how these pics came out. It is too small on my phone for me to see anything.

BTW, I didn't blindly go into a coyote den site. I believe these coyotes are siblings and still in the care of their father and mother but certainly not fresh out of the den. I've seen coyote pups before (another time when I was on the motorcyle) and I can say that they are not puppies. When the den is still providing protection for the puppies is when the parents are most aggressive and this was not the case. I don't want to tangle with a pair of 40-60lbs coyotes.

I am considering going back with my real camera but at the same time I don't really want to harass the family and I certainly don't want to provoke the parents. I'll have to think about it.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So i went back this evening. My intent was to set up a game camera but I brought along my camera/video as well. I kept low and quiet. Sure enough I came across a couple and started filming. Then the couple grew as more joined in. Eventually approx. ten coyote were about 20yards in front of me. Some were of the size I had originally encountered but now there were some pups as well and some larger ones. Damn, I was next to a pack, or at least a family. At about this point I began to cuss a bit as I looked around to see if any where behind me. That is why I deleted the audio from the footage. Eventually a young one spotted me.

Realizing that only one had actually spotted me, I moved forward about 50 yards and waited. Then two puppies came into the trail and began to play. Here is that video below. When one started running down the trail toward me (still unaware I was there) I decided it was best to let him know and he ran with the other following him.

I won't be going back except to retrieve my game camera. I don't want to upset a now obvious den site and I don't want to encounter the parents. it was very cool though. Some pretty awesome footage huh? wish it wasn't so grainy. Oh well.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A great encounter Jeff! I wish it was me. Very nice.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Very cool Jeff!

I captured some cool coyote game camera pictures a few weeks ago. I set the camera over some scraps I set out from some hogs we killed on a hunt. The funny thing was, the coyote didn't come to feed until the meat was rancid and not the best smelling. I thought the would have liked it better fresh. The buzzards were on it in a couple of hours.

Chris

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
A group of friends and I went out on one of our (in)famous late night runs to the Pic and I was driving home alone and decided to take Hampton-Carranza-Friendship on the way home. I got to the intersection where the Friendship ruins are and turned to go to the main rd. 563. In he middle of the rd I saw two full size 'yotes - seemed to be male and female, but what do I know. They were in the middle of the road, seemingly not afraid and I stopped dead! Got out through my window, intending to take pics but my camera's batteries were dead (hadn't used them in weeks) Tried to take a pic with my phone but it was way too dark. They started walking closer (almost strolling) and I got in the vehicle and left. I have went down that road numerous times..but never again....

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
I was able get these photos in back of Coyle. A lot of deer were crossing the road in the same spot.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 505

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I was wandering a couple weeks ago. Coming up out of a low area onto an elevated road bed, I saw the coyote up ahead of me. A little too far for a good photo, but here's what I got. I made a light clicking sound to have it turn around. Really a beautiful dark color to it. It slowly walked off down into the area ahead of it. There were plenty of deer tracks around here too.

IMG_0688 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0690 (800x600).jpg

Reactions: Hewey

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's. I find it interesting that it does not run.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I saw a black coyote crossing

I love the black color phase! It lets you know wolf runs in their blood. You do not see that in the western coyote. I saw a very large black color phase last summer on Bloody Ridge Rd.

Some of my coyote game camera shots from this spring.

WGI_0372.jpg

WGI_0359.jpg

WGI_0366.jpg

WGI_0361.jpg

Chris

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That grey phase is what every coyote I have seen has been till this black one this past week.Didn't know that was from wolf DNA but i do know our yotes are bigger then the western ones and supposedly came south from Canada where wolves still roam so perhaps the wolf story be true?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I saw a black one on a freezing overcast January morning back in 2009. I was way back behind the bogs at Friendship walking my two dogs when they suddenly got quiet and looked to our right. Something was moving with us as we walked a path no more than 50 feet away but it was too dense to ID it. We continued down the path, the dogs nolonger sniffing but on alert when it got ahead of us and crossed our path. It was really black and looked nothing like the photos here. These Yotes here look more like dogs to me, Malamutes, fluffy fur and sloping back. This guy was long straight legged and thin, the black fur more hanging down than a bushy coat. No sloping back( shephard like), it's eyes were yellow. It stopped and we staired each other down, no agression on either side which is unusual for my dogs who were off lead and like to kill deer. I tried to slowly get my camera out but it moved off into the underbrush. To this day I call that spot Wolf Corner. It may not have been one but it was for sure different from what I see here.
I staked a 9 lb pork shoulder to the ground there with rebar but all I got on my game cam was a vulture. It must have been just passing through.
On a side note I had a Red Tail on my fence a few years ago. I walked up to it, 3 feet, and it spread it's wings wide. I let it be and the next morning it was dead. If I were an indian I might think there is some serious mojo going on.