Crackdown on illegal use of off-road vehicles costly

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for posting it. There has been discussions about this before, and I was wondering how forceful they were going to be. It is interesting that it is mentioned that they were going to enforce this on state lands, but they chose the Forked River Mountains area to start their crackdown, and most of that land is privately owned.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Guys,

I'm still "fuzzy" on this article. Are they referring to the people:

1) Who are driving illegal vehicles, i.e., unregistered and uninsured?
2) Who are driving illegal vehicles unregistered and uninsured on private property and property clearly marked "No tresspassing"
3) Who are driving ANY type of vehilce whether unregistered and uninsured on private property and
4) What property is off-limits?

I can say with confidence that 1 & 2 are an issue but what areas are they referring to that is the problem? Is it just private property or is there land owned by the state that is an issue?

I've been driving through the pine barrens since the early 80s and always respected private property but haven't really seen that many signs where driving through Wharton, Lebannon (BB), Penn, etc was a no-no.

Speaking of road in the pines, what causes the roads to be so uneven and really bumpy? We have dirven down some roads that will make your fillings come out. Is this the cause of tires from mountain bikes and ATVs?
I see that they normally grade the roads very flat.

Lastly, I was driving on the toad where the Eagle is located on your right side. I continued down this road towards Apple Pie Hill when I noticed that there are no tresspassing signs next to a gun club. I quicky turned around and headed back and wondered if this road was available to drive through years ago. Unfortunately, this area has been stripped of many plants and tress. If you were allowed to drive down this road, wouldn't you come across Harris Station? Is there anything left there to see?

I did see the former Chatsworth Train Station that has been moved down the street from Buzbys.

Ken (NJ Vike)

njvike said:
Speaking of road in the pines, what causes the roads to be so uneven and really bumpy? We have dirven down some roads that will make your fillings come out. Is this the cause of tires from mountain bikes and ATVs?
I see that they normally grade the roads very flat.

)

That's called 'washboard'. I believe it is caused by the running water when it rains. It's the same effect you see on the beach sometimes.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the washboards in the graded roads are caused by the grader going too fast.The drag starts jumpimg up and down if they go much faster then a walk and causes this irritating chopiness.It can vibrate you right off the road if you go too fast.The occasional running water ditch is hazardous too but their not generally repetitive.You"ll find these usually in low spots where the water crosses the road to dump into a stream or swamp.The moguls on narrower trails that make a roller coaster effect and are tiresome to hike over are caused by ATV"s spinning tires on purpose to create them.Why they do this I don"t know but it does slow other vehicles down and wears out an already tired hiker.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Basically if you drive a vehicle in the woods, be it private or state, it must be registered. Any vehicle you see without a tag is subject to a fine unless you are on your own private property, or property you have permission to be on. As the article mentioned, there is an off road park right off of 72 that for a fee you can ride all day. So there really is no excuse for anyone to not register their vehicle, or use the park.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The Chatsworth Park is the only one in the state. It's pretty hard for someone who lives up north to use it. They were planning on taking the old Jungle Habitat property and using it as an off-road park, but that plan got nixed by the environmentalists.