Cranberry Festival

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
I'm sorry to admit that I've never gone to this event. Has anyone in this forum attended? If so, is it really crowded? What time would you recommend getting there?

Is anyone else going this year?

Ken

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I attended one time; too artsy fartsy for me. The amount of people there selling crafts not related to the pines is absolutely staggering. I prefer batsto, whites bogs, and the jamboree; I find them much more authentic.

But...don't go by that. Please do go, maybe it has changed. One thing I don't understand. Its a big event that draws a lot of people, so why does the white horse inn (?) still look the same?

B

BarryC

I have attended many times over the years. Back when Marianne Thompson was in charge of it (her group was called Chatsworth Club II) I used to enjoy it more. Her group had a big "history tent" there, which was very interesting. Today it's run by a different group, since the state went after Marianne. They claimed she spent proceeds of the festival on lingerie for herself and for other assorted unrelated things. Actually the Inn required extensive structural work which does not show from the street. The cost was enormous. I discussed this with Marianne and with Budd Wilson on numerous occasions. Eventually, after several years, she was cleared of all wrongdoing, to my knowledge. But the festival is still run by the other group. It is way too commercialized for my taste and is way too crowded for it to be enjoyable. It always runs the same weekend as the Batsto Country Living Fair, which I always prefer to go to.
One other thing, the Chatsworth Club II also used to run bus tours of forgotten towns, with Budd Wilson leading the tours. I went on one once and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Budd provided most of the photos for Heart of the Pines. He was also the State archaeologist in charge of the Martha Furnace dig, if I remember correctly, as well as the Batsto Glass House dig. His father was a close personal friend of Father Beck and of Arthur D. Pierce.
Anyway I've rambled on long enough.
Barry
BobM said:
I attended one time; too artsy fartsy for me. The amount of people there selling crafts not related to the pines is absolutely staggering. I prefer batsto, whites bogs, and the jamboree; I find them much more authentic.

But...don't go by that. Please do go, maybe it has changed. One thing I don't understand. Its a big event that draws a lot of people, so why does the white horse inn (?) still look the same?

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Ken,
I plan on going to the Cranberry Fest myself this year as I have never gone before. I am also going to Whitesbog Village on October 4th as that is the start of the Pine Barrens Month Celebration. I plan on posting about it on here in a week to see if we can get some people to go. Either way I hope you can make the trek on down for atleast one of them.
Jersey Jim

B

BarryC

The Batsto Country Living Fair (same day as Chatsworth Cranberry Festival) and the Pinelands Celebration at Whitesbog are both highly recommended. I will be attending both. I went to the celebration at Whitesbog last year for the first time. It kicks off Pinelands Month every year.
njvike said:
I'm sorry to admit that I've never gone to this event. Has anyone in this forum attended? If so, is it really crowded? What time would you recommend getting there?

Is anyone else going this year?

Ken

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
JerseyJim said:
Ken,
I plan on going to the Cranberry Fest myself this year as I have never gone before. I am also going to Whitesbog Village on October 4th as that is the start of the Pine Barrens Month Celebration. I plan on posting about it on here in a week to see if we can get some people to go. Either way I hope you can make the trek on down for atleast one of them.
Jersey Jim

Jim,

I will give the Cranberry festival but will am surprised to hear that the festival has gotten too commercial. I was hoping for all the information on the Pines I could get.

I was at Whitesbog and that's really a nice place. I met up with on of the people there and they explained to me that the gentleman that runs the event also knows Beck and provides tours. Unfortunately, there's a train ride offered by the New York, Susquehanna & Western that day that I wanted to attend since there will be a car show and fireworks as well. Unfortunately, my sons (6) have lost interest in trains :( so I might be attending the Whitesbog event.

Have you ever travelled down the road all the way down from the general store? I hate to say this but some of the people that live in those houses are scary. I had two of their dogs chase my Expy. I didn't want to run them over so I waited until someone came out to get them. Next thing you know a car came speeding down and pulled over to the next house. He didn't seem to care if he hit the dogs or not. After I got back to the general store, I saw the animal warden driving down that road.

Anyway, let me know what time you intend on going and perhaps we can meet.

Ken

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
BarryC said:
The Batsto Country Living Fair (same day as Chatsworth Cranberry Festival) and the Pinelands Celebration at Whitesbog are both highly recommended. I will be attending both. I went to the celebration at Whitesbog last year for the first time. It kicks off Pinelands Month every year.

Barry,

Perhaps, we can meet at Whitesbog? Jim are you able to attend? How about anyone else?