Cranberry grower has been busy with new tradition

TRA

Aug 10, 2003
Mt. Holly
After an early morning hike in the Pine barrens my girlfriend and I stopped at the "White Country Store" on Rte. 206 north. We were lucky enough to see a barrel building demonstration put on by Mr. Darlington. Mr. Darlington was the last manager at "Whitesbog". After shopping at the store we went on a tour to the "White Farm" and witnesed a white cranberry harvest. After we left the farm the bus headed over to "Whitesbog" and were given a great tour. It's amazing how Tom the bus driver drives through the various bogs. It costs $19.95 per person for the tour and was worth every penny. It can cost a great deal more money, depending how fast you can get your girlfriend out of the store. Tom and Jan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Guy,

The person we visited with at the Kinkora Right of Way was Ted Darlington, I believe. I wonder if this is the same guy...

Yes...I recognized the name right away. He was really nice to us that day, even taking us to his house. I guess he is keeping himself busy doing things such as this, and getting to see his old bogs.

It is funny the bus in the bogs was mentioned, and I am going to send that post to my mom. She drove a bus for Cherry Hill schools for 19 years and on one occasion went to Whitesbogs. The adult on the bus asked her to ride the bogs which she did, with the wheels of the bus just making it in some spots. She still talks about what would have happened if she has gone into the bogs.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Marilyn Schmit over at Buzbys in Chatsworth has mentioned these bus tours to me. Around the Chatsworth bogs. Seems like a fairly benign tourism activity (we all know how we feel about tourism in the pines). My wife has expressed interest in going. Might be interesting during the fall harvest. A bus on a land bridge. Hmmmm... maybe I'll start a towing/recover service if this takes off. Maybe get a few bus drivers on the pay roll, he he he he (diabolical laughter).

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I think I'm going to call and find out what's on the Ghost Towns of the Pines tour. The description said something about cellar holes and foundations. That's the scary one.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gerania said:
I think I'm going to call and find out what's on the Ghost Towns of the Pines tour. The description said something about cellar holes and foundations. That's the scary one.

Thats all we need...tourists going there :(

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if the woman knows it really is not Pasadena? And I hope they enjoy all of the graffiti there that talks about me. I know some of them will :)

Guy