Cranberry Pumping Station -- Found

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks to the detailed instructions from Guy and others, I was able to find the pumping station that has eluded me for so long. I feel kinda stupid, since it was so easy to get to, once I had the missing information these folks provided. I must have driven by that road a dozen times and never thought twice about seeing where it goes.

CIMG0838a.jpg

CIMG0837a.jpg

CIMG0839a.jpg

CIMG0840a.jpg

CIMG0841a.jpg

CIMG0842a.jpg

CIMG0843a.jpg

CIMG0844a.jpg
CIMG0845a.jpg

CIMG0848a.jpg

CIMG0849a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice pics Nascar. I'm suprised at how intact it is. Do you know when it was last used?

The photo I have of it in my gallery that shows the building that use to be there was taken sometime in 1978. It was not in use then and I doubt it had been in use for at least 5 to 10 years before that. So a good guess would be in the late 60's or very early 70's at the latest.

Apparently it was used to supply water to the cranberry bogs across the road. Either it did not work well enough, or they were forced or decided to create the reservoir they now have to supply water to the bogs.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=238&pos=14

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Cranberry pumping station

I can remember taking a canoe trip on the oswego in the early 70's and it looked abandoned even then .but it is awsome to walk around the property and imagine how it might have worked. Great pics Nascar..Tom

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
I Remember, too.

Yeah, I remember doing that trip in 1973, too. Some of the best times of my life. I had a 1970 Toyota Carolla (red) and my canoe was a Lenape Chief 15 footer (Blue) that was several feet longer than the car! Funny as heck. On our way downstream we stopped on a sandbar on an elbow of the river for a lunch break and watched "tourists" paddle backwards and sideways and hit stumps and submerged logs nearly falling overboard and us laughing and nearly choking on some fresh Jersey watermelon. I still have the slides to prove it. Those were the days, my friend....