Cycling in the Pines

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Anybody know of any good bike paths/trails in the Pines? I've recently taken up biking and I'd love to find some nice quiet long trails to ride. The Batona would be interesting, but I think it's closed to bike traffic, right?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anybody know of any good bike paths/trails in the Pines? I've recently taken up biking and I'd love to find some nice quiet long trails to ride. The Batona would be interesting, but I think it's closed to bike traffic, right?

Yes... foot traffic only, except where roads are used. You should start with hard dirt roads until you get comfortable I would think.

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Batsto has a few bike trails.
or from batsto norh up washington turnpike out to goodwater rd towards hawkin's bridge is a nice ride.
just park at batsto and have fun.

WEAR A HELMET, i can't over emphasize this.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I use a Mountain Bike in the pines. If there is a bed of pine needles on the path it is easy pedaling, soft sand, forget it. I enjoy Lebanon/ Byrne forest. Plenty of trails and roads that are safe. Greewood forest is good also. Purchase a good seat, the seats that come with most bike are uncomfortable for sustained periods. Try a half hour and build up from there. Good luck and good biking.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I use a Mountain Bike in the pines. If there is a bed of pine needles on the path it is easy pedaling, soft sand, forget it. I enjoy Lebanon/ Byrne forest. Plenty of trails and roads that are safe. Greewood forest is good also. Purchase a good seat, the seats that come with most bike are uncomfortable for sustained periods. Try a half hour and build up from there. Good luck and good biking.

I have a mountain/hybrid bike right now. Looking to pick up a cyclocross bike because I'm on the road more often than not. I've already passed the 10 mile mark for my rides so I should be alright going beyond half an hour. :)

Ideally I'll start doing one of the PPA's Tour de Pines:

http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/exploration/todo/bicycling/tourdepines/

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Ben, you are on the right track, you will be doing 25 miles soon and that is better that most folks that bike. Your choice of bikes is also right on.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, I need to lose about 25 pounds and the gym is so mind numbingly boring. So I figure that biking might be a good way to do it. Right now I'm working towards building up my endurance and then I may also start running a bit.

I found a nice cyclocross bike, but it's about $500, so I'm going to need to start stashing my pennies away.

Bog

Keep an eye on Craigs list. A lot of people buy nice bikes,use them once or twice, and put them in the garage. I bought a two year old $1000 Gary Fisher for $250. Couldn't tell it from brand new.Plus it had accessories and upgrades. The guy told me he used it twice.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I ride to get ready for PBX hikes and to explore with Rob from work in the summer. Just be careful that you have the right seat and you may want to invest in gel pants. I have serious problems every time I ride and it even caused me to have a colonoscopy about 10 years ago because I thought I was dying. If you have not ridden much before you have to "save your ass" if you know what I mean. Who would think riding a bike could cause me so much problem :bang:

Guy

A helmet? Oh yeah, head protection for up to 13 mph travel. I would think a motor would be more important than a helmet, but that's experience talking, not sentimentality. There's not enough DEET in Shop-Rite to get me to use a bicycle on the Batsto-Washington fire road.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben,

I ride to get ready for PBX hikes and to explore with Rob from work in the summer. Just be careful that you have the right seat and you may want to invest in gel pants. I have serious problems every time I ride and it even caused me to have a colonoscopy about 10 years ago because I thought I was dying. If you have not ridden much before you have to "save your ass" if you know what I mean. Who would think riding a bike could cause me so much problem :bang:

Guy

I have a gel seat that seems to work fine for me. :)

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Ben, Every year we have a cycling get together in Double Trouble (which may be closer to you, I am not sure).. Some of the roads are quite sandy and hard to cycle, but there are plenty of good easy roads and it makes for a great day cycling in the pines. Let me know if you want more info on good trails...I will hook you up with someone who knows those trails in and out...

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Estelle manor county park has several single track loops that are great fun, best suited to a mountain bike as there are some obstacles in place, like logs to jump. a hybred could go around most of them. there are also miles of dirt roads suitable for your bike, not too much sugar sand, and no traffic at all, you'll have it to yourself.
Stockton college also has an interesting network of dirt roads around the campus, you might see a jogger.