danger in the pines?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

While we are on the subject, my son found this :)

:) I recently introduced my sons to the coconut-banging troupe. They liked the mean-spirited rabbit best. I prefer the scene right-after, which revealed how the bad bunny was to be disposed of ...

Therefore, the ultimate pine-barren weapon, in my opinion, would require one to count to three.

(Five is right out!)

Off for Antioch,
Bill

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
:) I recently introduced my sons to the coconut-banging troupe. They liked the mean-spirited rabbit best. I prefer the scene right-after, which revealed how the bad bunny was to be disposed of ...Bill

The HOLY HAND GRENADE OF ANTIOCH?

The only way to dispatch such a beast with "Nasty, Big, Pointy Teeth"

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I can't believe I watched that show with my dad and brother faithfully back then. Looks rather cheesy now.
Guy

Just caught one of the episodes featured in that video this morning. I sometimes use Star Trek as a crutch while waking up. I am no Trekky for certain but one must admit, Kirk got action!

g

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
who thinks that this young lady would be better w/ a container of pepper spray w/ a distance of 10-15 ft ? a KNIFE is going to require a very intimate confrontation, and forgive me, but i think most men could knock over a 130 lb eighteen y/o female (knife or no knife).

and ...... let's not forget Meredith Emerson (google her name).. a 21 y/o female from GA, who went hiking in a state park in GA (on new yrs day) and never returned. it was later found that her killer beat her to death and decapitated her..

i go to school in philly and i feel safe in the pines (be it on my dirt bike, or in my truck) but i never go alone.. and yes, i carry pepper spray (no firearms yet)..

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
and ...... let's not forget Meredith Emerson (google her name).. a 21 y/o female from GA, who went hiking in a state park in GA (on new yrs day) and never returned. it was later found that her killer beat her to death and decapitated her..

You should always be aware and prepared, but let's face it, very few of us among the general public will ever be "prepared" for a confrontation with either a hardened criminal or a sociopathic killer, whether we are armed or not.

The good news is, very few of us will ever have to be prepared for such an event. You have to rely on probability. The reason you'll never win the big lottery is also why you won't get your head chopped off in a state forest. We can't cower before ever more lurid media reports. The streets in our neighborhoods are empty of kids most days, because no parent will let their kids ride a bike, walk to a freind's house, etc. It's silly. I try to tell my wife that our kids are much more likely to die falling down our stairs because they don't listen and run down them at full speed. But people don't think rationally about such things.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
why not just take calculated risks. (and not be over-confident, bordering on arrogance?)... face it - our world is freaky.. the pines, the cities, whatever. the buddy system works.. an individual is far more likely to be attacked, etc than 2 or more ppl. i've said my peace. obviously we all think differently. (and remember, it's never happens to YOU or one of your loved ones.. until it does, then you cry "why me")..

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Ive avoided this discussion for as long as i could.

Its true what is said about an ounce of prevention, however there is a greater chance statistically that a weapon you have will be used against you, knife gun, in your home pine barrens where ever.

Im not advocating not carrying a weapon of some sort, that would be hypocrital of me, however unless what your carrying is something you train with and are carrying day in and day out for your job, and are familiar with to the point of being able to use with out thinking, well then your not going to fair to well.

When in such a stressfull situation people often dont even use the tools at there disposal. I would advocate the budy system or staying in well trafficed areas, also listen to your gut, if your gut is telling you something is wrong there is a reason. Take the steps necesary to secure your self.

I am not blind to the dangers in our world, the jobs ive done for the last decade are a constant reminder of everything that goes on out there. Its all about calculated risks.And who ever recomended peper spray or OC spray, id recomend it also, i have been sprayed with it 2x and it completly shut me down, the only problem with oc and pepper spay is some people are immune to it, noone is immune to a bullet.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
And who ever recomended peper spray or OC spray, id recomend it also, i have been sprayed with it 2x and it completly shut me down, the only problem with oc and pepper spay is some people are immune to it, noone is immune to a bullet.

hey aaron.. great minds must think alike right ? enjoy the outdoors smart, to enjoy them for days and days to come..

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
And who ever recomended peper spray or OC spray, id recomend it also, i have been sprayed with it 2x and it completly shut me down,

Well, that is what you get for attacking people in the woods:D

I would advise tree hugger to carry pepper spray as well. Just make sure it works. Back in college my girlfriend (now wife) had one and one day I checked it and it didn't work.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Tell you what...
A very small, and cheap can of Carb cleaner to the face/eyes will do a world of almost permanent hurt that will not fail and no one is immuned to.

g.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
if you really want a can of pepper spray get a can of bear spray, it is designed to stop a grizzly. it is also very bulky, and as with all sprays the wind had better be right or you will be blind also. any weapon takes training and the right mind set.