Dead deer in the Mullica

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Intersting post. I was on the Batsto fishing 2 weeks ago. I don't think I smelled anything unusual, but I'm glad I decided to skip the swim anyway.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Last year I saw about 5 dead deer in the salt marshes along the delaware bay. I suspected people dumping them there, but after reading this maybe it was the same cause as the ones on the mullica.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
From the NJDEP article:

A fourth report of approximately 15 dead deer found by canoeists on the Mullica River in Wharton State Park near Hammonton and Shamong was received by Central Law on 9/23/07 and will be investigated. The carcasses were reportedly found by smell.

ICANOE2, this report was submitted by someone other than you, right?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Lets hope for some cold weather, though it doesn't look like it's getting here anytime soon. Just another possible side effect of a warmer climate. I will be on the lookout, even here on Long Island. Thank God it is not infectous for humans.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
I found one in a ditch by the cranberry bogs behind my house. I thought it was odd that someone would dump it in the ditch. Boy did that thing stink! Are there any problems with domestic animals like dogs or cats?

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
From the NJDEP article:

ICANOE2, this report was submitted by someone other than you, right?
This was not from my report to the state.
Keep an eye on the NJ Fish and Wildlife White tailed deer page for future updates of the EHD epidemic.
As to whether your domestic animals are at risk, I suggest you contact Dr. Douglas Roscoe at 908-735-6398. He is from the Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Fish and Wildlife.
Mike

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Does anyone know if this migde fly virus is dangerous for humans?

No. People don't get EHD. This virus does rear its ugly head now and then in our deer populations, we had it happen 8 or so years ago in NJ, I believe in the same area--Somerset and Middlesex counties.
Biting midges, or Culicoides, are certainly around, and they carry more than EHD. These are the little monsters that transmit bluetongue, a virus affecting sheep and cattle. (Europe is having a terrible outbreak this year). They prefer hot, humid days and are active at night. Their populations wane in cooler, drier weather and will die off soon! Come onnnnnnnnn Frost!

I've been studying midge populations in Hunterdon county this summer, and I gotta tell you, treatment for these things is unrewarding at best. They suck, quite literally.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Deer in the early stages of EHD may appear lethargic, disoriented, lame, or unresponsive to humans. As the disease progresses the deer may have bloody discharge from the nose, lesions or sores on the mouth, and swollen, blue tongues. They become emaciated because they stop eating. Sometimes they even stop drinking, although many die close to or in water.Since deer hunting season usually doesn't open until well after the first killing frost, deer hunters usually don't see live, infected animals. However, WDFW recommends hunters avoid shooting and consuming deer that show any EHD symptoms, even though the disease cannot be transmitted to humans.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There's been a dead one floating in the stagnant water upstream at the dog leg on Carranza Road by the boot camp. Wow, that's a disgusting sentence!

Ed

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Spoke to a good friend today who was out hunting last week. He came across two with this apparent infliction. He immediately went to reading on sites regarding the issue. He hunts very near the bogs behind Dutchtown and Maple swamp. As I have noticed, he remarked on many sightings of Vultures hovering the pines in the region and the stink of carcasses. Just FYI.

G.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
This sounds like a really bad outbreak. :(

Makes me want to work for the state insect control commission. I'd love to be able to work out the best way to control these damn midges.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Virus outbreak kills 200 deer, most in Burlco

Associated Press

HILLSBOROUGH

Nearly 200 white-tailed deer have died in New Jersey recently after becoming infected by a virus passed on by small insects, state officials said.

Evidence of the virus, epizootic hemorrhagic disease, was first spotted in New Jersey about six weeks ago by a hunter who came upon 15 dead deer on a hunting club property in Somerset County, The New York Times reported in Tuesday's editions.

Officials said the outbreak is not expected to seriously diminish the state's deer population, estimated at 150,000.

Larry Herrighty, assistant director of the Department of Environmental Protection's Division of Fish and Wildlife, said the disease, which causes fevers and mouth, nose and eye bleeding, is affecting a "relatively small number compared to prior outbreaks." The disease killed 4,000 deer in the state 1999 and about 1,000 in the 1970s, he said.

About 65 deer have died in Hillsborough Township and an additional 104 have died in and around Burlington County's Wharton State Forest, Herrighty said. Suspected cases have also popped up in Camden, Cumberland, Morris, Middlesex and Salem counties, the newspaper reported.

Wildlife officials say the virus hasn't spread to livestock, and while it appears the disease does not affect humans, they are urging hunters to avoid the meat of deer that seem sick.

The virus, which has also had outbreaks in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, is usually contained after the season's first frost kills the midges that carry it, officials said.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
QUOTE:AP Hillsborough
Wildlife officials say the virus hasn't spread to livestock, and while it appears the disease does not affect humans, they are urging hunters to avoid the meat of deer that seem sick.
Well at least they are sure humans can't be infected. LOL

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Why are they found in the water?
News article; said:
When deer are infected with EHD, they begin showing symptoms within seven days. Deer with milder infections develop a high fever and seek out water immediately. They often have pronounced swelling of the head, tongue, neck and eyelids and may have trouble breathing

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We passed 4 dead deer in the water when kayaking the Wadeing River on Sunday between Hawkin Bridge and Evans. We had to get REAL close inorder to get by. Just think of the people in the water down stream. Any fans of Cabin Feaver" out there?

Ed