Decorated 539 Stone

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Used "Search" on this site but came up empty.
While going north Ro & I did a "Uey" on 539 about a mile south of Webbs Mill when we saw all the flags and the newly repainted stone. Really a wonder, someone spent a lot of effort (and money) to show honor for our Flag.
Who?
Anyone know how that BIG stone got 'way out there, when, why? .. and why just there?
We weren't the only curious ones, judging from the barren area on the opposite side shoulder.
Ro took iPhone pix, I'll post them here tomorrow.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the "Painted Rock" as many people call it. The origins of it are uncertain. About 10 years ago someone painted it and others followed by painting it differently. Eventually, the authorities stepped in and the decision was made to paint it the way it is and leave it that way. I don't remember the full details but that is basically what happened.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Used "Search" on this site but came up empty.
While going north Ro & I did a "Uey" on 539 about a mile south of Webbs Mill when we saw all the flags and the newly repainted stone. Really a wonder, someone spent a lot of effort (and money) to show honor for our Flag.
Who?
Anyone know how that BIG stone got 'way out there, when, why? .. and why just there?
We weren't the only curious ones, judging from the barren area on the opposite side shoulder.
HERE is another link
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/rt-539-patriotic-boulder.4402/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Eventually, the authorities stepped in and the decision was made to paint it the way it is and leave it that way. I don't remember the full details but that is basically what happened.

That sounds like an urban legend Guy. My theory is that it was decided by some person or group that we should all be patriotic at all times. In other words, it was taken over as their personal billboard to make a statement.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Who?

The story goes is that it fell from a truck hauling the stones for the building of the south jetty at Barnegat Light in the 90's, but I recall it being there, unpainted, earlier than that. Over the years it had been decorated for each holiday season by a man that lived nearby. Upon his death in 2004, another person, a Vet I think, took on the task. The original caretakers wife passed on several years back. The rock is occasionally refreshed, by whom I don't know. At one point it was vandalized pretty bad. There have been the occasional story in the local papers, most when the original caretaker passed on.

A bit of 'rock' history;

http://www.jamesrahn.com/personal/rock.htm

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
You guys did it again.. mystery dispelled (mostly).
Many thanks.
Picture up next.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
photo-2.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That sounds like an urban legend Guy. My theory is that it was decided by some person or group that we should all be patriotic at all times. In other words, it was taken over as their personal billboard to make a statement.

I remember a feud going on over it and some sort of agreement was reached to stop it. I don't think it was an urban legend Bob.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I fixed your photo johnnyb. You need to shrink them to about 800 pixels wide or the site apparently turns them sideways.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I remember it being there in the late 60's. Back then it just had grafitti and names painted on it. At that time there was a steady flow of tractor trailers with these large stones on them heading to LBI.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
The story goes is that it fell from a truck hauling the stones for the building of the south jetty at Barnegat Light in the 90's, but I recall it being there, unpainted, earlier than that. Over the years it had been decorated for each holiday season by a man that lived nearby. Upon his death in 2004, another person, a Vet I think, took on the task. The original caretakers wife passed on several years back. The rock is occasionally refreshed, by whom I don't know. At one point it was vandalized pretty bad. There have been the occasional story in the local papers, most when the original caretaker passed on.

A bit of 'rock' history;

http://www.jamesrahn.com/personal/rock.htm

I believe I had read an article years back in "The Sandpaper" that it did fall off of a truck delivering the larger boulders for construction of the south jetty at Barnegat in the early 40's when the first inlet jetty was constructed. I think the rocks were shipped from the quarries around the Hopewell - Kingston areas.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This rock is as big if not bigger than the painted rock. The question to you is "where is it located?"

IMG_3884.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

The article now requires a payment so we can't see it all, but this line in the post pretty much proves that the county was ready to remove the rock if the bickering did not stop.

"The sad thing though, both Gilliam and Carton agreed, was knowing that the state/county might do something stupid like remove the rock to avoid such controversy that if it continues."

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/rock-becomes-battleground-for-passers-by.1691/#post-14572

Guy

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Teegate:
If the "you" is me, I flunk. Don't think I've ever seen the pictured stone.
Not on subject but on our way home from this area today we passed the Green Bank Inn and it looked like really closed.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The rock in question is hidden somewhat and if you don't know about it you will really be surprised where it is located. I suspect it was on the same vehicle as the painted rock as it is basically along 539. I bet some of you have gone right by it hundreds of times and don't know it is there. It is the secret rock that needs a good name.

Guy