Decorated 539 Stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No responses yet so a quickly made up story with hints to it's location.

Once upon a time there were two rocks buried deep in the ground far from the light of day. Things soon brightened for them and they found themselves on the back of a truck heading to a permanent vacation down the shore. While motoring down 539 one reportedly fell off a truck leaving the second rock to continue on alone. Life was good for the one that fell off with everyone constantly stopping to paint it and say hello. However, the rock that continued on did not fair as well. It would not make it to the final destination, and in fact it's final resting place would be the same distance off of 539 as the first. People could drive down 539 and see them both, wondering why they were there. But as the second rock was sleeping sometime after 1972, a sinister plan was hatched that would forever change it's fate. Soon, the road would disappear and the cars driving down 539 would pass by further away and the rock was forgotten. Trees would eventually grow around it hiding it from view, making its life miserable. The dark days of summer would for a short while retreat to allow some sunlight in, but would return again year after year after year. Then one day a photograph was taken of it and ............

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Good for you, Tom!
I was thinking about the kink in 539 where it nears Range Road and wuz gonna check it out. Now I can put that time to a more productive use.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
If your index mark is close, it appears the rock is farther than expected off the old 539. I'm a bit embarrassed as I've parked there quite often and never noticed it, but as you say the woods are quite thick in that area. Was it pushed deeper into the woods off the original 539 road?
Any info on what appears to be an abondoned underground cable maintenace shack on the AT&T right of way?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may be closer as I did not get a GPS coordinate or I may be right on the mark. In any event, without trees is was right in plain view.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
FYI, It looks like in 1940 the section of 539 north of 72 was just starting to be built.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
More views. This rock is bigger than the painted rock

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG