Deep Hollow Campground

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
After reading this thread, I decided to go and check out Deep Hollow, the campground that the State abandoned in the 1970's.

I took 72 to Four Mile Road, and then made a right on Upper Mill Rd. The road into the former camp site is before the bend in Upper Mill Rd. The pavement is in rough shape - in some spots it's completely gone, with puddles spanning the width of the road.

Sadly, the area is full of trash. I imagine it's a very convenient place for folks in Presidential Lakes to dump in.

You can see where most of the campsites were. Only trash stays there now.

A tree trunk graveyard.

Hammond Organ

You can see where the parking lot was:

I didn't find any evidence of the large wooden pavilion, but I did find a number of small ruins in the woods along the "lake."

And the lake itself. Anybody care for a swim?

Rest of the pics here...

Oct 25, 2006
It is really a damn shame how some people like to litter in the pines, anything from A to Z, me and Wolfspider went to various places today and we couldn't believe some of the stuff we saw, the Speedwell area was clean though.

Jim

Reactions: Steve McKee

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
It makes me sick why someone wouldn't take thier trash to the dump, and decide to take it into a state owned forest to dump it instead, and worse, dump on or near something with a historical value. Other then that it was a great day to be out :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, if my memory serves me well, the floor of the pavilion was level and either flagstone or concrete. I'll bet someone in Presidential lakes has a photo. The pavilion was on the northeast side, right on the top of the hill leading down in to the lake.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is why I rarely explore on that side of 70. Just a mess!

Guy

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Great pics! Shame people see an abandoned area as a convienient place to disposed of unwanted items :(
good find on the brochure! :D and the brochure kinda answers a question from the thread I started - it looks like Norlemon was a town in 1961 - maybe....

a cleanup sounds like a good idea to me :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Shame people see an abandoned area as a convienient place to disposed of unwanted items

It's been awhile since I was at the Deep Hollow area but the trash is a problem all over the pines. I was out to the Harrisville/Martha area on Saturday. Soda cans, beer cans, food wrappers, tires, etc... I usually pick up stuff, but I could spend every hike cleaning up and never get to actually walk. My last trip to Chatsworth to fish, I picked up trash already bagged that someone had left piled up. It's frustrating. Sorry for the vent.

Greg

N

Njpiney0410

After reading this thread, I decided to go and check out Deep Hollow, the campground that the State abandoned in the 1970's.

I took 72 to Four Mile Road, and then made a right on Upper Mill Rd. The road into the former camp site is before the bend in Upper Mill Rd. The pavement is in rough shape - in some spots it's completely gone, with puddles spanning the width of the road.

Sadly, the area is full of trash. I imagine it's a very convenient place for folks in Presidential Lakes to dump in.

You can see where most of the campsites were. Only trash stays there now.

A tree trunk graveyard.

Hammond Organ

You can see where the parking lot was:

I didn't find any evidence of the large wooden pavilion, but I did find a number of small ruins in the woods along the "lake."

And the lake itself. Anybody care for a swim?

Rest of the pics here...
I was just here today but I can’t view your pictures. It says 404 not found. Can you repost?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Actually, the whole photo gallery was removed, then replaced with a different one, and (IIRC) this happened a couple times. So the old photo links are all broken and long gone. Same for all the old links to topozone and terraserver maps . :)

I'd suggest you send a personal message to Ben if you are really interested in these. You can do this by passing your mouse over his username to the left of his post. A little window should appear where you can click the button "Start conversation".

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
As Boyd said, the image gallery is long gone, but I still have my pictures from that day - 11/25/2007. It's crazy to think how long ago that was. Anyway click any of the pictures to see a bigger version.

CRW_0193.jpg
What remains of the lake.

CRW_0221.jpg
Ruins

CRW_0220.jpg
The organ

CRW_0215.jpg
"Tree Trunk Graveyard"

CRW_0201.jpg
More Ruins

CRW_0198.jpg
A concrete pad

CRW_0192.jpg
Former campsite turned dumping area.
CRW_0190.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Nice little shot of England or Scotland in there Ben.

Good eye. That was the ruins of the Roman Temple of Mithras up by Hadrian's Wall that I took when I was there last October. I had exported that picture earlier and it got lumped in with the ones I uploaded to this post.

It's amazing to see how much better 1800 year old ruins In England do than our 200 year old ruins in the Pine Barrens.

Reactions: Boyd