deer contaceptive

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The reason no answer was given is that none is deserved.

Well of course you're right, and my post came off a bit too harsh. What I really meant is that I can see more clearly where other animals fit into the scheme of things.

I don't want to eradicate all deer, but would like to see their numbers reduced. I think Gibby makes a good case.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Well of course you're right, and my post came off a bit too harsh. What I really meant is that I can see more clearly where other animals fit into the scheme of things.

I don't want to eradicate all deer, but would like to see their numbers reduced. I think Gibby makes a good case.

I’m in full agreement that their numbers need reduction, for reasons including all of the ones you listed. I’m especially concerned about the regeneration of Atlantic white-cedar, due to my interest in historic industries as well as dabbling in decoy carving. What is needed is restoring balance between populations and their habitat, including consideration of impacts on humans. We are part of the environment too, for better or worse. And we have screwed it up, beyond ever being able to let nature “take its course” again. We have created a landscape in which species like deer and Canada Geese thrive, yet most of their predators will not. That we now need to manage their populations should not be debatable among most thinking people. How we do so and to what extent is . And debate is indeed the America way. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bruce, I agree with you. If they are not going to "take" them anyway, let the hunters shoot them with a simple pistol they carry. If they can prove they shot one, give them half off their license fee. Of course, the hunters may not want to do it as they see it as reducing the chances of having more to hunt.