Defining the Pines

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Renee's post about making a wall sized topo map of the pines got me thinking... what are everyone's definition of the pines? Exactly where do they begin and end?

Most people say that the Pines begins in South Toms River. I actually believe that it starts in extreme southern Monmouth County - near Cream Ridge and Jackson. But I'm not really clear on the Western and Southern boundaries.

B

bach2yoga

When I was down in Cape May looking for a couple of plants, I asked Karl (a botanist) about some that were Pinelands plants down there, "but that's not Pines, is it?" I said. He said, "Renee, you know a Pines barren habitat when you see it. If it looked like Pines, it was." He seemed to feel that certainly portions of Cape May were Pines.
That said, the federal government includes portions of Camden, Gloucester, Cumberland and Cape May counties, although the state boundaries do not. And according to geologists, the cuestas separate the outer and inner coastal plain---the geologist Karen Snow told us that she felt that portions of Monmouth are also Pines.
Renee

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
The map that I was looking to scan covers most of the Pine Barrens on 2 sheets of USGS topo’s at a larger scale than is used its. I am trying to get unmounted copies if I do I will scan copies for this site. I can also print some on the plotter.

B

bach2yoga

Then there is always the consideration of "Pinelands fringe"--places like Parvins in Salem and Manumuskin in Maurice River Township that are regularly referred to as Pinelands fringe, with a similar habitat, but maybe more short leaf pines, and more beach heather plus PB heather. And you find classic PB plants there as well, and a number of t&e species.
Renee