Delaware Water Gap

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here are some photos from my trip up North... not the Pines but still New Jersey!

It was hard for me to believe that the Delaware looks so wild in this area. Photo was taken somewhere around here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=41.1329&lon=-74.93078&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

02.jpg

03.jpg

Buttermilk Falls

04.jpg

Near Crater Lake looking East

05.jpg

Crater Lake

06.jpg

A section of Flatbrook

07.jpg

A few spots along Van Campens Brook

09.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

It's a really beautiful area, and not all that many people around which is remarkable considering the proximity to New York. About a 3.5 hour drive for me, but well worth the trip!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice Boyd.

I am not surprised there were few people even though 11 million (?) people live within 2 hours drive of there. After all, air conditioning and TV's are the great pacifiers.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Great pics. They bring back nice memories. I grew up in northern NJ and don't miss much of it aside from this area. I used to canoe camp on the Delaware every fall with buddies of mine until family obligations started to take their toll. I also spent lots of time fly fishing the area's streams and roaming the forests hunting grouse.

The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area shares a trait with Wharton State Forest, in that both are huge tracts that resulted from many smaller parcels being consolidated for water projects that were not completed. If it wasn't for Wharton's water importing scheme, or the proposed Tocks Island Dam, both of these tracts would have been fragmented by development by this time.

omega

Explorer
Great Pix Boyd, I used to drive thru that area almost every weekend years ago, and that brought back a lot of memories. Reminds me I haven't attended the COTA in a number of years. something I have to do again.

(Celebration of the Arts in Delaware Water Gap. A weekend fo great jazz etc, as you pass the thru the tolls into PA look to the left and it's right there. ;-) Phil Woods is heavily involved as well as a lot of other great musicians)

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Warren and Sussex are almost like different worlds compared to what can be found just by driving an hour and a half east on Routes 80/78. I was running around up there near Newton/Frelinghuysen this weekend visiting my girlfriend's parents and some friends of hers. I still love the pines but just driving some of the county highways up there give you some pretty spectacular views. Not to mention that I saw 2 dairy farms in one day, which is getting to be a pretty rare occurance in this state. :( I think there are only 3 or 4 left in Burlington County.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Beautiful photos, Boyd. You really nailed the contrast exposure with the first V-C Brook shot. I love it.

My man John McPhee writes eloquently of "the Delaware Water Gap, where the big river comes obliquely through the mountain, like a thief through a gap in a fence" in his book "In Suspect Terrain." Cool, complicated geology up there. I make it a point to huff-and-puff my way up Mt. Tamminy every couple of years.

I've had a lifelong love affair with the terrain between the Hudson and Delaware rivers. Anybody up at the Gap for a weekend or so should consider heading right on up the PA side of the river, following Rt. 209 to New York state and the Shawangunks. One park in these mountains, Sam's Point Preserve, offers quick access to some dwarf pines that give our barrens' plains a run for their money.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Appalachian Trail?

Were you near the AT? I remember going up the trail with the Boy-Scouts in 1966---I think it was Catfish pond? I remember it was beautiful. My grandfather found a "lodestone" that was magnetic and made everyone's compasses go nuts. In '71 I drove up there with my friends in my '63 Chevy Impalaconvertible. It was beautiful up there, especially in the fall with the foliage color-change. That area is truly beautiful, and some awesome fishing to boot. Great photos.

relayer

Explorer
Boyd

The pictures are beautiful. I was up that way a couple or three weeks ago and was kicking myself for having forgotten my camera. Still, I got to see a lot of the country. Bevans, Flatbrookville, Walpack Center, the Old Mine Road and Dingman's Bridge among other places. Just gorgeous woods and countryside. Only negative is that the NPS appears to be letting a lot of the old meadows and fields go back to woods. It's logical and understandable, but the loss of cultural landscape is unfortunate. On the other hand, at least the area isn't being choked with starter castles and will remain a green and pleasant place.

best

relayer

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Warren and Sussex are almost like different worlds compared to what can be found just by driving an hour and a half east on Routes 80/78. I was running around up there near Newton/Frelinghuysen this weekend visiting my girlfriend's parents and some friends of hers. I still love the pines but just driving some of the county highways up there give you some pretty spectacular views. Not to mention that I saw 2 dairy farms in one day, which is getting to be a pretty rare occurance in this state. :( I think there are only 3 or 4 left in Burlington County.

Oh much less than 90 minutes :). 45 minutes east from the gap on 80 and you are in the Whippany area; deep suburbia.