Denali is Now!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Mt. McKinley was named by an act of congress to honor an assassinated republican president. Some have wanted to change it to Denali for decades , but they have been unable to do so because they could not get majority support in congress.

Is it okay for a president to ignore the constitution, bypass congress, and violate the separation of powers act if you agree with his actions? If a republican president decided to bypass the congress and change the name of The John F. Kennedy Space Center by executive order, would you guys support it? Do you not see the dangerous precedent this drip...drip...drip..."If the congress won't do what I want, I'll do it by executive order," is setting and how a future president might use that unconstitutional power against your interests in the future?

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Is it okay for a president to ignore the constitution, bypass congress, and violate the separation of powers act if you agree with his actions? If a republican president decided to bypass the congress and change the name of The John F. Kennedy Space Center by executive order, would you guys support it?

Why yes, I would support it. In fact it was robbed of the original name Cape Canaveral by executive order. And, if an Executive Order by Christie changed Brendan Byrne Forest back to Lebanon State Forest, I'd support that too. Wouldn't you?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I’m tickled that so many Algonquin names survived here in the Pine Barrens, even if their form and meaning has long drifted away! For example, I was surprised to learn that Atco does not commemorate a transportation service, but as “Atco Atco” has native roots – something like Atquatqua or Adcoadco or Edqueadque (Farr 2002: 4–7).

Penny Pot apparently also has precontact meaning as Penipach Ghilili’len (Farr 2002: 129–130). Pack means pond and the rest is attributed to sluggish or meandering mire. The original description fits. The stream’s unusual paleohydrology (curious crooked, cuspated micromeanders) were also noted by geologists (Newell & Wyckoff 1992; Demitroff 2007; French & Demitroff 2012).

We all can provide a couple of public servants’ names that connote the same meaning as Penipach Ghilili’len (crooked, meandering), but the archetypes offer a more agreeable essence of place. Let's agree that politicians often make for poor toponyms.

IMG_2203.jpg

Denali (background) and Susitna Valley (foreground) at May's sunset (11:00 PM).
S-M

Last edited:
Reactions: glowordz

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I still call it Lebanon, It's just habit.

Exactly and that's what will happen with this. Folks will just continue doing what they have been doing and this will just be forgotten and pass downstream into the sewer of all the other useless political garbage.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I like the meaning and the feel of the Grand Tetons.
:)

Don't get overly excited ;), but there are three Tetons; Grand, Middle and South.

This is Teewinot, Grand and Middle, with the Old Patriarch and the entrance to Cascade Canyon in the center.

107238133.jpg

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Why yes, I would support it. In fact it was robbed of the original name Cape Canaveral by executive order. And, if an Executive Order by Christie changed Brendan Byrne Forest back to Lebanon State Forest, I'd support that too. Wouldn't you?
Honestly, I wouldn't care if the president renamed Mt McKinley after Aunt Ester on Sanford & Son, as long as he did it in accordance with the rule of law and did not exceed his constitutional authority. Same for Chris Christie.

Reactions: 46er

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Honestly, I wouldn't care if the president renamed Mt McKinley after Aunt Ester on Sanford & Son, as long as he did it in accordance with the rule of law and did not exceed his constitutional authority. Same for Chris Christie.

Well that complaint sir, must be taken to Room 413, two floors down.

Reactions: jburd641

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Personally I agree with it. I'm all for keeping the original names of areas. In today's society it wouldn't surprise me if some corporation was thinking of donating to a specific area just to get the naming rights. I can see it now. WELCOME TO YELLOW STONE...sponsered by Walmart:eek:

Reactions: Spung-Man

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't get it, what is that? It seems a mix between an amusement park and Yellowstone? Is it for real?
It is a parody on ideas similar to what smoke jumper expressed that the NPS was considering quite a few year back. A good friend from Yellowstone put it together for his web site. We were a loosely organized group of folks from around the country that traveled out there over 20 summers; still get together every now and then. Those very ideas are surfacing again.

A piece of Yellowstone few folks see.

30538994.jpg

A few of the bunch;

30609104.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I admit, it was scary reading. I would be devastated that it would come to that before I even saw it in the raw.

You should be devastated now, as it is happening now. Virtually all concessions are privatized. In YNP the company providing services was the Hamilton Stores, doing it since 1915. They built many of the structures in the park that are now on the register of historic buildings and were booted out in 2002 simply because of a stronger bid. History and tradition gone. We see it happening locally; a recent example is the PPA's outdoor adventures business, road closings and the state campgrounds. There is a proposal that has been floated by a concessioner to sell liquor in our state parks. Almost every public professional sports facility has been privatized. Do a search on park privatization, lots of info out there.