DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fix Your Parks is having an online zoom meeting to direct members how to fill out the survey. “Survey Training.”
I will be attending via Zoom.
I hope you know they will be telling you how to fill it out so that the permit system flourishes.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I can hear them now..."just tell them you drive straight to Quaker Bridge from Atsion parking lot to look at the water, and then back again on the same road."
Now I’m kind of curious. If you want to pay for a permit system to access Wharton how would you fill it out?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They have a write in section so they may give you pointers on what to write. While sitting there some people may feel obligated to write what they suggest.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Despite some issues with the wording of this, some of you may be interested.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
I already filled out my survey, and I am going to see how they discuss this. From my discussions with Jason, they want to use "satellite imagery" (unsure of source) to show that ORVs are destroying the preserve with wanton abandon. I am sure they can find photo evidence of damage, but unless they are the CIA and using satellites live, I don't think they have much value. When was the photo taken? It's like using Google Maps to show who hit your car in a parking lot. My guess is they'll use images from 2005 and then 2015 at Funtown, etc to show damage that provokes an emotional response, but doesn't prove there is recent damage. And even if there is "rampant" ORV abuse, permits won't solve that, and I'll say my piece. If I am allowed.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
TommyP
I've seen somebody use the word "Funtown" before and ask where that is. I don't remember seeing a reply. With that can you say what area is this "Funtown"?

Reactions: TommyP