DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

TacoTues

Jan 9, 2023
Chesterfield
If this map is adopted as proposed, there will be no point in Wharton State Forest(125k acres of 600k+ acres of public land in the Pinelands National Reserve) greater than approximately 1.1 miles from a mapped motorized route. This compares with over 1.5 miles away in Acadia National Park (47k acres), 2 miles in Shenandoah National Park (100k acres), 7 miles in the Smokey Mountains NP (550k acres). in the Adirondacks(approx 3 million acres public) the furthest out you can get is about 8 miles.

Although I think all the conservation groups would have accepted a range of versions, as long as they didn't expand on what the Pineland's Commission adopted, this map seems to permit much denser motorized traffic than any other major public land area on the east coast.
Do you by any chance know which if any “mapped motorized routes” highlighted in yellow on the proposed map are currently closed?

Asking because when I pointed one out to a Parks employee at the open house, he said there were “at least a few more” that currently have some kind of access issue that would need to be addressed. Thanks.

Old Halfway

May 5, 2019
Old Halfway
Jason,
Reckon you are bored of spreading disinformation and using irrelevant metrics in an apples to oranges comparison on FB, so you're bringing it here.
It must be beyond clear to you by now that this is plan is wildly unpopular with almost every group that frequents the pines outside of you're small and connected circle and affilatited businesses.
How do you plan to restrict access if it did go through? Will you cut down 80+year old pines to block roads? Will you put a plastic stake in the ground that will be removed or driven around causing more impact or a new road?
You cite population explosion so you want to restrict to certain roads that will now see exponentially more traffic. What is the plan to deal with the increased use on those roads?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Jason,
Reckon you are bored of spreading disinformation and using irrelevant metrics in an apples to oranges comparison on FB, so you're bringing it here.
It must be beyond clear to you by now that this is plan is wildly unpopular with almost every group that frequents the pines outside of you're small and connected circle and affilatited businesses.
How do you plan to restrict access if it did go through? Will you cut down 80+year old pines to block roads? Will you put a plastic stake in the ground that will be removed or driven around causing more impact or a new road?
You cite population explosion so you want to restrict to certain roads that will now see exponentially more traffic. What is the plan to deal with the increased use on those roads?
It being unpopular doesn't matter one bit. Its always been that anybody who is against this plan is a radical 4x4 enthusiast who only cares about tearing up the environment. That's why there's been no real engagement between the PPA and the off-road community besides antagonizing each other online.

This plan will not keep people out of places they shouldn't go. Destruction will continue, and what will happen is that the MAP will be amended to further reduce the amount of roads available for use. It's a viscous cycle that leads to nowhere but keeping responsible people out of the forest which, in my opinion, is the ultimate goal of the people who are pushing this proposal.

If you can stop 100 people from legally driving down a road then you can accept 1 person illegally driving through a bog which will eventually recover. It's the 100 they want gone. That's why there's all this noise about "population explosion".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have Facebook and are against the plan, go to this link and show your support to Senator Tiver and Assemblyman Torrissi

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
If you have Facebook and are against the plan, go to this link and show your support to Senator Tiver and Assemblyman Torrissi

I do not have Facebook, but forwarding him a physical copy of the letter I submitted to the DEP is probably not a bad idea.

Reactions: Teegate

Arioch

Dec 21, 2023
NJ
I noticed Stokes Road. I was curious as to what they saw different between 2015 and a 2023. Why is the section that goes through the wetlands is open and the section that doesn’t is now closed? In 2017 or so that road was repaired well from Hampton Road to the rail line. If that can be done why can’t it be done to other roads?
Agreed. Stokes Road was a swamp between Hampton Road and the railroad tracks until they filled it in. It is now on the map. They will need to keep filling it in to keep it open.

Bulldozed Road near Tuckerton Road gets really bad too. That road is on the map. They will need to keep filling it in.

Also, why block off an entire road? If a road has a conservation area, like a stream crossing, just block the road at the stream crossing, the rest of the road should be open. People can turn around. Or why not fill the smaller stream crossings with large stone, so trucks can go over without disturbing the environment.

This map is arbitrary.

Its sole purpose appears to be to limit access, not protect anything in particular.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Agreed. Stokes Road was a swamp between Hampton Road and the railroad tracks until they filled it in. It is now on the map. They will need to keep filling it in to keep it open.

Bulldozed Road near Tuckerton Road gets really bad too. That road is on the map. They will need to keep filling it in.

Also, why block off an entire road? If a road has a conservation area, like a stream crossing, just block the road at the stream crossing, the rest of the road should be open. People can turn around. Or why not fill the smaller stream crossings with large stone, so trucks can go over without disturbing the environment.

This map is arbitrary.

Its sole purpose appears to be to limit access, not protect anything in particular.
Yes those puddles on Buldozed Road (Push Line Road to me) need to be addressed. Over the years just about every road on that current list was impassable at one time or another. I can think of several, right off the top of my head, that were repaired years ago and the only evidence that a quagmire was there is the overgrown go arounds. All roads need to be repaired from time to time. The ironic thing is that many of the roads proposed to be closed have no puddles and have never needed repair. That’s my biggest complaint. The MAP has never been about combating abuse even though that’s what advocates for it say it is.

Last edited:

svr32

Sep 1, 2015
Hammonton, NJ
Yes those puddles on Buldozed Road (Push Line Road to me) need to be addressed. Over the years just about every road on that current list was impassable at one time or another. I can think of several, right off the top of my head, that were repaired years ago and the only evidence that a quagmire was there is the overgrown go arounds. All roads need to be repaired from time to time. The ironic thing is that many of the roads proposed to be closed have no puddles and have never needed repair. That’s my biggest complaint. The MAP has never been about combating abuse even though that’s what advocates for it say it is.
I agree 100%, many of the roads on the map marked for closure are in great shape and not in need of repair. Many of them don't have puddles or go arounds to begin with which is why I travel them and are some of the most scenic roads in Wharton. The goal is to keep people confined to what they see as acceptable use to them, however it totally discounts the enjoyment I and many others get out of visiting Wharton. I have a Dual Sport motorcycle and a 80 mile motorcycle ride is the norm for me in summer doing a loop to get away. On many of the proposed roads to be closed I can tell you I very rarely even see another person or vehicle, and thats the appeal to me. That fact also reinforces that the majority of the closures on the MAP are not being damaged or over used. In addition the goal was to remove traffic from sensitive areas, mostly of which have nothing to do with the proposed closures. It makes zero sense to me, and by so drastically limiting the roads the amount of traffic forced onto the approved routes will also start to degrade them, and you know what that means. More "damage" pictures and more closures to what remains.

I live in SJ and have been enjoying Wharton with both a dual sport motorcycle and 4x4 for the past 15+ years. I have logged over 27,000 miles on my motorcycle almost exclusively in Wharton and I can tell you one thing. I travel the entire forest and nothing will change my mind, there is little to no abuse or degradation going on out there. There is no widespread abuse to the degree that the freedom we all have to enjoy the forest responsibly the way we want to experience it needs to be removed.

Those that think what is proposed is a good idea need to get out from behind their desks at the DEP and log as many miles as I and many of us have and see that a few overused and recycled pictures of abuse and damage is a very small part of the story. Also, the PPA has no tolerance for anyone that does not fit their vision of what Wharton should be and how it should be used. I dont care what other states do, or what the rules are there, the fact is what we have now is responsibly used by 99.9% of the people. We do not deserve to lose any privileges we are currently entitled to, especially pushed by a few who have the time and is part of their careers to get in the ear of the DEP about their views. We, the residents of NJ have a more important voice and are the majority.

And one last point, has anyone tried to call the famous 877-WARNDEP number to report anything illegal, such as someone dumping an old boat into the forest ? You know what I get, no answer, no voicemail, no response. Lets start there if this issue is so out of control, the MAP or VVUM is not the answer, sorry !

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
I was able to view the article in Reader view. Different year, but it's the same as before. They are not going to stop till they get their way - from the article:
“The new visitor map for Wharton State Forest is a wonderful opportunity for the public to understand where to go, how to get there, and what to do in the keystone of the Pinelands,” said Jason Howell, an advocate for the nonprofit Pinelands Preservation Alliance.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Actual photo of me reacting to all of this resuscitated MAP nonsense from the Pinelands Prevention Alliance.

IMG_2434.JPG