DEP determined to resolve pinelands access disputes

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The permit plan will never work and will never be implemented so lets all save our breath.I suspect you are correct. Things change so quickly at the DEP that as soon as someone starts working on a plan new people move in.
I suspect you are correct. They have huge ideas that never pan out because things change so fast in the DEP. At least that is what I have been hearing. Plus, I think they really don't want to do anything except they are be pressured by the usual players.

TheChairman

Aug 16, 2022
Browns Mills
This season I have encountered a number of newbie motorcyclists who are very enthusiastic about riding in the pines and for the right reasons. Exploration, experiencing nature, fun. Mature in attitude if not in age. Courteous and respectful demeanors. I think it is a huge advantage to acknowledge that this demographic exists and represents the kind of attitude that can benefit continued preservation efforts and maintenance.
You have a lot of people moving here from the cities. "Wow, I can actually ride my bike and not have to run from the cops?"
I am fortunate enough to come from a place where off-highway opportunities exist in a similar way as here, so I have a natural respect and desire to keep these opportunities open. The difference is in Florida if you find something in the woods older than the 1950's, it was put there by aliens. Here, 19th century structures and ruins are the norm. That alone makes this infinitely fascinating and worthy of preservation to me. So, I get it.

I do my best to spark that fascination in others I ride with. Awareness is important. I invite people here to ride, particularly dual sport and adventure riders. We find far more satisfaction and accomplishment in choosing a destination on a map and getting there. We don't need to make new trails. The ones that exist are already there and challenging enough, especially with the amount of sand. Going out to whatever hole, getting drunk and wallering out all of the trails and wildlife just has no appeal.

This is ultimately who we want out there. This is who shows up for "work trips" to clean up garbage, gets vocal at community meetings, and ultimately generates meaningful economic activity by visiting our state and enjoying our forests. I ride with folks who plan their vacations around navigating things like the TNJT and CPAAT. Hotel rooms and all.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I drive along that route through Wharton on Jackson Road on a daily basis. It's a paved road. I don't know if the permit plan would apply to paved (improved) roads. If it did, I think it would be hugely unpopular.
Jackson Road in Medford turns into Medford Road in Atco. It’s got about 3 miles of in improved section. Jackson Road in Atco turns into oak Shade road after crossing into Shamong at the bridge, which is improved.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This is ultimately who we want out there. This is who shows up for "work trips" to clean up garbage, gets vocal at community meetings, and ultimately generates meaningful economic activity by visiting our state and enjoying our forests. I ride with folks who plan their vacations around navigating things like the TNJT and CPAAT. Hotel rooms and all.
As a member of South Jersey Geocachers, we regularly attended cleanups and had our own until we were banned from Wharton.

Mcgiiver

Jul 1, 2022
Princeton
This is just like gun control legislation. Enact laws that will harm legal users while doing very little to combat illegals. A map of allowable trails might be fine , if it does not overly restrict usage. With the permit system, the devil is in the details. If it's a simple online available free permit, that might be acceptable. If it's an onerous process, that is a problem. Any pre-approved permit would restrict the occasional driver, just looking to do a one time exploration of public lands he pays for with his tax dollars.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I’m my opinion I’d like to bring back actual park rangers who know and care about the pines and enforce current laws. Enforcement is at the root of the the problem here. We only have about 25 conservation officers in the entire state.
They don't even have vehicles that can go where the trouble spots are. Until that happens nothing is ever going to stop the damage.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Bog Mermaid

Nov 8, 2021
Folsom
Everyone should read this.

Just read this a minute ago. People are encouraged to voice their views on this to the DEP. Fortunately the senator and her team are paying attention to this and have made a good argument.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
Thanks, I just came here to post this article.
I am writing my local reps to state my opposition to the permit plan. You can find yours, and write to them all at once here:
In my experience, the local state reps nearly always answer.

Reactions: Teegate

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
After you read the article scroll down to the comments. Our old friend Al H. left a scathing message about the DEP and Parlk Police not doing thier jobs!! I cant see how his message is making any new friends.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Everyone should read this.

Those are the legislators for my Township. I have met both Umba and Torrissi. Good guys.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
After you read the article scroll down to the comments. Our old friend Al H. left a scathing message about the DEP and Parlk Police not doing thier jobs!! I cant see how his message is making any new friends.
Quite a rant. He had to be apoplectic when he wrote that; it's replete with grammar and spelling issues. He blows things way out of proportion and makes things worse.