Destruction at Friendship

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have flipped rocks,boards and what not looking for snake and salamanders and such.I always put them back the way i found them because I flipped them for a reason.Because they looked like they had enough space under them for a herp and if i flip them and lay them down otherwise they probably won't land right to make another hide.After several face encounters with wasps I have kind of mellowed in my old age and seldom root through trash piles anymore.Perhaps flip a stray piece of plywood once in awhile when I have a clear runway and can flip it from the back. Some of these folks tearing rock walls apart should go to WV and try that.Might grab hold of something they would wish they hadn't though something very pretty in any case.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was past the packing house at Hampton yesterday, It also has graffiti on the outside walls, sorry no pics.

I was there also and was quite taken back by the graffiti. I just can't imagine why someone would go through the trouble to do that to something that is so obviously of historical significance.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just like the kid(s) who torched Ace Campgrounds.

There's just got to be something where these young(er) kids get off from destroying things. It's a culture and an attitude that has to change in our society and how kids are brought up. People are growing up selfish and really not knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Just like the kid(s) who torched Ace Campgrounds.

There's just got to be something where these young(er) kids get off from destroying things. It's a culture and an attitude that has to change in our society and how kids are brought up. People are growing up selfish and really not knowing the difference between right and wrong.

At the risk of sounding like my father, the apples don't fall far from the tree in most of these cases. If the parents are unknowing or unwilling to separate right from wrong and teach it or just don't care enough about what their kids are doing because they are too involved in their own lives; or don't want to invade the kid's space and refuse to use any type of discipline with their kids instead of having a love in, what are we to expect? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying take the punishment to the physical side, but damn come on! I know what my punishment would have been for burning down a campground or spray painting something I shouldn't have. Recent example would be a student at my daughters school posted on social media that they wanted to come in and shoot up the school, want to know how I found out? my daughter 3 days later! I called and asked why the public was not made aware of this and was told it was investigated and determined a non issue??? Then the school was kind enough to deliver a voicemail to all the homes. That's great and all, but the parents should have been told before a 3 day lapse. Also, as far as I know the kid is back in school. This is an example of the way society is going. What would happen when some of you were in school and did that? I'll say the thought never crossed my mind in any way. It also never crossed my mind to blatantly destroy things for fun.

View attachment 6643
View attachment 6646
Bonus shot of another foundation in Friendship that people used to drive through. The state has since filled it in. This was sometime in 2000, taken with my very first digital camera. (That saved photos on floppy disks!)

I used to love photographing that step, I was sad when it wasn't there anymore. Something about a step up to a door that no longer exists.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Look at the generation of young adults we're dealing with. It's just not their lack of concern for the Pines or any other historical sites. It's their lack of concerns, in general. Their feelings of entitlement, getting paid for just showing up to work. It those young adults that would think twice in striking their parents, disrespecting law enforcement, etc. I could go on and on.