Directions to Ongs Hat

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
being that you have done some hikes there is the water too acidy to use my water filter??

Dont listen to Rednek.. his name says it all (kidding). I wouldnt take the chance without a filter.. you could end up with "beaver fever" (no, this isnt something you get from reading smut mags, its Giardia). Met someone on the trail in the Adirondacks with it. He couldnt stop puking and crapping, but the worst part he said was the cramping. I've never had a problem in the pines with my PUR brand filtration system so Im guessing whatever you have will work fine. When you doing the hike?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Dont listen to Rednek.. his name says it all (kidding). I wouldnt take the chance without a filter.. you could end up with "beaver fever" (no, this isnt something you get from reading smut mags, its Giardia). Met someone on the trail in the Adirondacks with it. He couldnt stop puking and crapping, but the worst part he said was the cramping. I've never had a problem in the pines with my PUR brand filtration system so Im guessing whatever you have will work fine. When you doing the hike?

You are right on about Giardia.
You will be crapping out things you haven't even eaten yet.
I have just been lucky.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
407071Lrg.jpg

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
Don't listen to Rednek.. his name says it all (kidding). I wouldn't take the chance without a filter.. you could end up with "beaver fever" (no, this isn't something you get from reading smut mags, its Giardia). Met someone on the trail in the Adirondacks with it. He couldn't stop puking and crapping, but the worst part he said was the cramping. I've never had a problem in the pines with my PUR brand filtration system so I'm guessing whatever you have will work fine. When you doing the hike?
I'm going to look for the trail head maybe this weekend. So once I find it I'll start my threw hike within the next couple weeks..
The water filter I have is pretty good have sucked water from practical mud puddle. (Last resort missed the spring on the A.T. Few years ago)

Mudtrudger

Feb 4, 2009
Coastal Monmouth
There are water hydrants which I have used for drinking untreated numerous times at Pakim Pond at Brendan Byrne, and the campsites at Carranza and Lower Forge.

You can also get drinkable water at Batsto Village.

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
Well just a little F.Y.I. On the water purification pills they will make ya shit your brains out and taste nasty... I Ginny piged those once never again will I depend on them. I keep them for back up only.. they ruined my trip on the smokies...

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Well just a little F.Y.I. On the water purification pills they will make ya shit your brains out and taste nasty... I Ginny piged those once never again will I depend on them. I keep them for back up only.. they ruined my trip on the smokies...

Yah, I used them once in the Catskills and they were el suckaroo! Filtration is the way to go.

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
Tree Frogger when are you actually planning on hiking the Batona? I'll be starting on the bass river entrance March 20th and plan to reach Ong's hat by the 22nd. If you're hiking the trail that weekend perhaps our paths will cross. by the way what type of filter are you using?

Tree_Frogger

Mar 6, 2009
Tree Frogger when are you actually planning on hiking the Batona? I'll be starting on the bass river entrance March 20th and plan to reach Ong's hat by the 22nd. If you're hiking the trail that weekend perhaps our paths will cross. by the way what type of filter are you using?[/QUOT]

the filter using is a MSR and it is by far the best that i have found for the price.. best of all is that it is field serviceable and easy to clean....
i will also be hitting the trail the same weekend but wont be doing the death march that your doing. i like to enjoy my surroundings and suck up nature. i should finnish up on the 23 or 24 ....

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
I drank water from the Mullica and Batsto Rivers unfiltered twice, no ill effects. Now, I always filter, I think they work just great.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
One can easily hike the Batona Trail without having to resort to drinking standing water. There is potable water available at Batsto, Batona Camp, Pakim Pond, and Brendan Byrne. When I do a thru-hike I cache some bottled water in a few spots where the trail intersects with a road.

Don't drink untreated water anywhere. I drank from what looked like a pristine mountain stream in NC without first treating the water and I paid for it with two days of vomiting and diarrhea. Being sick in the woods is 10x worse than being sick at home.

In the past, I've usually gone with the iodine pills, because I have no patience with filters. I'm saving for one of the squeeze pouch ones that have come out the last few years, no moving parts to break!

Some buddies have been raving about the UV light ones, super easy and they work quickly.