Dirty Rotten Survival

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Don't bother, I would have been more entertained if I went to sleep. The show probably has a web site.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wrote Dave Canterbury. Told him that he shoulda turned right off the tracks to get to the tower which is north of the tracks.He turned left??? Why cross a spung when you could have walked up a driveable sand road from Pine Crest? I basically told him that I could see Hollywood showmanship all through the video and that you will never see the tower from the tracks climbing pine trees.The barrens are not the mountains,you cann climb all the trees you want and all your going to see is the tree in front of you.I did give Him kudo's for not mentioning the Jersey devil which really amazed me that Nat Geo forgot the Devil!More BS there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I didn't hear the guys mention it on the show.I thought it was odd that the barrens were the setting and someone didn't bring up Mrs. Leeds thirteenth son or whatever the hell the nonsense was.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
While we all know different, this is the perception those not familiar of the pine barrens have of it.
Scrounging through dumpsters in the back of a shopping mall, camping on the edge of a horse farm then having the police drive up. Camping in an auto salvage yard and scrounging. Playing games shooting at a moving air cleaner housing. I though this was "survival"? Renting a rail inspection cart from a farmer in an attempt to use on heavily over grown tracks. The only "real" pine barrens was getting wet feet crossing the spung that most likely could have avoided. Then climbing the fire tower. So this is the pine barrens? I admit NJ to outsiders is known as the turnpike, Perth Amboy, shopping malls and cluster tract McMansion developments. Sadly not far from the truth but this was a poor, no, not even a representation of the Pines. I realize this is Hollywood entertainment but.... I wonder just how inaccurate the series is pertaining to other locations. I think it's quite apparent no research or local knowledge help was even consulted. On a selfish note maybe the show did us a "favor" in deterring others from exploiting the Pines.