Disappearance and Murder in Hampton Park - 1907

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I've been working on the history of Hampton Furnace and Hampton Park, chipping away it over the last couple years. Eventually I'l finish it, but in the meantime, I thought I would post some interesting things I've found along the way. Many may have heard of the robbery near Hampton in 1916, in which Andrew Rider's brother, Henry, was murdered. But did you know there was another murder before that in 1907? Here is the story:

On October 27th, 1907, and Guiseppe Manchurio and Antonio Schiavo, Italian immigrants who worked at the Rider-Wilkinson bogs, set out on a hunting trip from Hampton Park. Antonio returned from the trip alone later that day, collected the pay that was owed to him, and hastily departed Hampton the next morning. Guiseppe did not return to work and was feared to be missing. A search was begun to try locate him.

Shortly after the disappearance, around November 7th, a gun with the initials “H. J. P” and an hunting outfit were discovered near Whitings and was thought to be related to the case. A search was conducted near the location of where the gun and outfit were found, but they turned up nothing.

On November 21st, Prosecutor Samuel A. Atkinson ordered that Detective Ellis H. Parker report to Hampton Park to begin an investigation. By this time it was four weeks after Manchurio had gone missing. As a result of his investigation, Parker learned more facts about the case. It turns out Manchurio was carrying $200 on his person the day he went missing. When the pair left on their hunting trip, Manchurio was reported to be wearing gloves while Antonio was not. When Schiavo returned alone, he was now wearing gloves. After an exhaustive local search of the area, Parker ordered that one of the local bogs be drained and it was there that Manchurio’s body was discovered. Manchurio’s body was riddled with bullets and Schiavo was indicted for murder. The question was, though: Where was Schiavo? As it turns out he had fled back to Italy. He was apprehended in the Province of Salerno. Since Schiavo was not a US citizen, he was detained and tried in Italy. Based on the evidence collected and forwared by Detective Parker, in 1908, Schiavo was convicted and sentenced to serve five years in prison. This may initially sound like a “light” sentence, until you learn that he was sentenced to solitary confinement in a cell that was so small that could not lie down. It is reported that prisoner in these cases die within 3 years due to the torture that is endured. It is not clear what the ultimate fate of Schiavo was.

Newspaper Sources:

Unknown (1908, April 23) Atsion Murderer Tried in Italy Courier-Post, 3
Unknown (1907, November 21) Fear Hunter is Murdered The Morning Post, 1
Unknown (1907, November 21) Think There Has Been A Murder Courier-Post, 6
Unknown (1907, November 26) Local News The Mount Holly News, 3
Unknown (1907, November 21) News of the State Cut Short for Rapid Reading The Courier-News, 2

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I wonder why he was 'riddled' with bullets when usually a couple is enough.
That's press talk, to sensationalize a story. He could have been shot only three time for all we know. They did it then, as they do now, with terms continually evolving. What used to be a traffic altercation is now road rage. What used to be murder is now gun violence. Sometimes it's to sensationalize, other times to further an agenda.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I followed the accounts of this murder on Newspapers.com. Interesting to read as it develops. I wonder which bog the body was found in. I walk that area regularly. I also think about the Shootout at Hampton Bogs in 1916 when I go there. And there is the body dumped in the woods off of Carranza Road. There sure was a lot of drama in that area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I posted about multiple murders in Atsion as well as other places in the Pine Barren History Shorts. One of them was even personal and much more recent.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I posted about multiple murders in Atsion as well as other places in the Pine Barren History Shorts. One of them was even personal and much more recent.

Guy, I read that, and your story haunted me all night!

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, I read that, and your story haunted me all night!

I go by the house all the time on my way to visit my mom and brother and think about him each time I go by. I was stuck in the ditch with a tough struggle out and who knows what he was thinking at the time.