Does anyone know what this is?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Found in an old building that was being demolished. Trying to figure out what it is! Help!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That looks like a Morse Code type switch even though it isn't. Does it move up and down or do anything?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Looks like a glass reservoir in the clip. Any markings/numbers on it? What is under the dome. What kind of building was it found in? Perhaps a specialized type of scale?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Thank you!!!!! Now maybe I can do some research and find out how old it is..... My husband and his friend thought it may be for an inkwell, but I didn't see it. I was wrong:(.

Other thoughts were a medicine bottle filler or capper.

Not just an "old style Ink holder," this inkwell and lid mechanism was specifically used by draftsmen when inking technical plans drawn on linen. The draftsman would open the lid to refill his inking pen, but, otherwise, the inkwell had a tight seal on it to prevent spillage, thereby spoiling the entire drawing. The same draftsman would use a sander—a perforated-top shaker similar to a salt or pepper holder—to aid in drying the ink. He would then brush off the entire drawing with a traditional thin draftsman’s brush.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Not just an "old style Ink holder," this inkwell and lid mechanism was specifically used by draftsmen when inking technical plans drawn on linen. The draftsman would open the lid to refill his inking pen, but, otherwise, the inkwell had a tight seal on it to prevent spillage, thereby spoiling the entire drawing. The same draftsman would use a sander—a perforated-top shaker similar to a salt or pepper holder—to aid in drying the ink. He would then brush off the entire drawing with a traditional thin draftsman’s brush.

Best regards,
Jerseyman
Great Info. Any Idea why the lift handle is split and not 1 piece like many are from back then?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much dogg57 and Jerseyman!!!

I am not sure what kind of building it came out of. A friend of the old man's sent him the picture and asked for our help knowing that we deal a little bit in antiques.

Dogg, where did you find that drawing? I's be curious to check out the site that you found it on (if that is where you found it).

Jerseyman, as usual, you are absolutely amazing!!!!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The same draftsman would use a sander—a perforated-top shaker similar to a salt or pepper holder—to aid in drying the ink. He would then brush off the entire drawing with a traditional thin draftsman’s brush.

Reminds me of drafting class, circa 1972. We had the pens, shaker and brush but used vellum instead of linen and the pens were "Rapidographs" that were self-inking. Boy those ink drawings were a pain. Once I actually started working, we used pencils for everything, since revising ink drawings is a bit of a problem.

I switched to CAD in 1993 and aside from a slight grin when I look at my old box of drafting instruments, I can't say that I miss the old system at all. :D