double trouble

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i was walking there on monday, there doing a good job restoring the place . but i wounder how may places or houses or building are out there that are gone now lost in time . was there any buildings that were built in the woods . that we dont know about

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I was there around two weeks ago and stumbled upon on old Orchard there, I would assume that somewhere near there would be either a house, or possible remains of a house.
Jersey Jim

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
i found what i think to be a well or a water fountain on the outskirts on the left hand side of the park .but i think i wasn't in the park anymore .near the second waterfall .beyond the park limits . it may have been a home site

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
alfonso said:
were there any buildings that were built in the woods . that we dont know about

I think so Alfonso, I think there was a lot out there. You know, it seems people trumpet how double trouble got its name so much they forget to talk about the history. I have bushwacked a little around the other side and there is subtle evidence of human disturbance everywhere.

Have you ever been to the canoe landing down the power line road over by Berkeley Town hall? There was a farm back there, me thinks. There is a field of real heather over there too, as if they tried to grow it commercially or the lady of the manor (bless her heart) really loved it in her garden.

bob

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Does anyone know where the Crabbe (I think it's spelled) cemetery is located? Saw some pictures of it in one of the members' photo collections on this site, but don't recall whose it was. All that is indicated with the pictures is that it is in Double Trouble. Couldn't spot it on the topo map, and those usually do a fairly good job of marking cemetery locations. This was a fairly recent cemetery with grave stones in good condition.

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Blah, I seem to have lost the trail map to the park. I'd be able to mark it pretty easily. Anyway, from what I remember, as you're walking towards the village, there will be a trail that goes to your right and runs along the old bog. At some point it'll fork and there will be a trail that goes up a hill. I believe it circles around to the cemetery. It's kept up by the park, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

It's been a while since I've gone up there, so those directions are subject to being flat out wrong. :)

--Tom

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
BorderWalker, Explorer ---

Muchas gracias for the info on the cemetery at Double Trouble. If they would update the topo for that area, it just might be shown then. It's not a very old cemetery.[/i]

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JerseyJim said:
To find the Crabbe family members that have passed on from our world go to N39* 53.962 W074* 13.530
Jersey Jim

I assume that means you bought a GPS? What kind?

Guy

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I won the Pioneer model, I have yet to really find anything online about it, but I look at it as I learn the basics, get used to using one, then I can always upgrade down the road. Right now it suits my needs just fine. That and I can't complain, I got it for a really good price, and it's brand new.

JerseyJim said:
I won the Pioneer model, I have yet to really find anything online about it, but I look at it as I learn the basics, get used to using one, then I can always upgrade down the road. Right now it suits my needs just fine. That and I can't complain, I got it for a really good price, and it's brand new.

Jim,

I'm not familier with that model. Did it come with MapSend Topo so you can load maps? If it didn't but has the capacity I can help you out.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are in an open area with no trees, you can get within 3 feet of the intended location. If you have professional equipment, you can be right on the money. In dense trees there is a reception problem and you may be off by 30 feet at times. Still quite close.

Guy

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Steve,
I'm still tinkering with it, I'll let you know when I get to that part, still playing with my new toy and learning what it can do.
Aserdaten,
Yes, GPS units are alot of fun. Your welcome on giving you the location of the Crabbe Family Cemetery.
Jersey Jim

B

bach2yoga

aserdaten said:
Does anyone know where the Crabbe (I think it's spelled) cemetery is located? Saw some pictures of it in one of the members' photo collections on this site, but don't recall whose it was. All that is indicated with the pictures is that it is in Double Trouble. Couldn't spot it on the topo map, and those usually do a fairly good job of marking cemetery locations. This was a fairly recent cemetery with grave stones in good condition.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Interesting note about the cemetery, only one of the headstones is not a Crabbe...he appears to be an in-law, and perhaps a bit of a black sheep. His headstone is set back off to the side, away from the others.

I also noticed that taking photos of gravestones after a snow works wonderfully! I had used chalk before to make the lettering stand out, until I found out that it damages the headstones; so now I will use snow, lol!

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
I had used chalk before to make the lettering stand out, until I found out that it damages the headstones; so now I will use snow, lol!

Renee

How does chalk damage a headstone?

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
bach2yoga said:
I had used chalk before to make the lettering stand out, until I found out that it damages the headstones; so now I will use snow, lol!

Renee

How does chalk damage a headstone?

Guy

It is considered vandalism in some states, and the use of chalk is discouraged by grave restoration experts.

A NOTE ABOUT SHAVING CREAM, FLOUR OR CHALK

A word of advice, DON'T use shaving cream , chalk, flour or anything else on tombstones!. These have many ingredients harmful to tombstones (like butane) and in some cases can be abrasive. There are a number of websites that promote this method, with one going so far as to assure that the shaving cream will not harm the stone. Please do not attempt this as you WILL be causing a great of damage to the stone and even by washing it after you are finished you will not remove all of the material that you have placed on the stone. More detailed information on why not to use shaving cream on a stone can be found here.

In the case of flour, Daniel H. Weiskotten [weiskotten@erols.com] states that "introducing a starchy organic material to the stone is a death nell for it. it not only will feed the lichens that are there but will introduce new ones which will have little natural competition. Also, wheat paste, which the flour essentially becomes when that first rain pours down (or the first dew forms) is a great adhesive. Just because we can't see any of it doesn't mean that it is all gone. Those little fungi and microbes love that sort of stuff and it is best not to introduce anything to the surface of the stone."

According to the Crayola website, Molded chalk, such as Crayola Colored chalk, is a softer chalk, made of plaster of Paris, which is defined as quick-setting gypsum plaster consisting of a fine, white powder, calcium sulfate hemihydrate, which hardens when moistened and allowed to dry. Sidewalk chalk is much harder than regular chalk; in fact, will actually scratch a typical chalkboard. Saving Graves received the following response from Crayola concerning the use of sidwalk chalk:
"Crayola sidewalk chalk contains plaster of paris which has a gritty texture. Plaster of paris is not considered to be biodegradable, nor are most of the pigments contained in Crayola sidewalk chalk. Also, product packaging warns of colorants that may stain. This could be a good factor depending on the exact nature of what you are trying to do. While packaging does warn of colorants that may stain, chalk used outside generally washes away because of extreme weather conditions and excessive rain. Again, this could vary depending on the surface it is applied to."

B

BarryC

I have a GPS which I have not used yet. That's because I've never been able to get an initial reading. Anyway, in the manual I downloaded for it, it says "The satellite constellation that provides the GPS information your receiver uses is maintained by the Department of Defense (DoD) for use by the U.S. armed forces and its allies. GPS positioning for general use provides 25 meter RMS accuracy or better. Since the signals generated by these satellites are publicly accessible, the DoD has introduced errors into the satellite signals, for security reasons. These errors are referred to as Selective Availability (SA).
At present, your GPS position will be accurate to within 100 meters horizontally and 150 meters vertically. Your horizontal coordinates may be slightly more than 100 meters from your actual position about 5% of the time, due to the errors intruduced by Selective Availability. Elevation may vary even more."
If all this is true, how can you get on-the-money results, or even within 3 feet?
Thanks,
Barry
TeeGate said:
If you are in an open area with no trees, you can get within 3 feet of the intended location. If you have professional equipment, you can be right on the money. In dense trees there is a reception problem and you may be off by 30 feet at times. Still quite close.

Guy