Dover Forge

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You are confusing donkey train with the Mule road I think. The donkey train rails were in the bogs of Double Trouble, downstream from Dover Forge.

1667783813862.png

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
Mule roads and donkey rails, I got them switched.
Are there any cellar holes around the larger forge area? I know about the one next to the main dirt road by the old gate near the large drains under the road and the slab foundations in the main forge clearing. Perhaps between the Ten Mile Hollow area south of the airport?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Are there any cellar holes around the larger forge area? I know about the one next to the main dirt road by the old gate near the large drains under the road and the slab foundations in the main forge clearing. Perhaps between the Ten Mile Hollow area south of the airport?
I'm not sure where you mean for the 'slab foundations in the main forge clearing". Can you send me a PM and I'll show you some things?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
There is not much to see at 10 Mile Hollow. Last time I was there the road to it had more garbage then anything else. The cemetary was missing the stone markers which were nothing more than rocks. The metal cross someone made was in pieces on the ground.

• Angry
Reactions: Teegate

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
There is not much to see at 10 Mile Hollow. Last time I was there the road to it had more garbage then anything else. The cemetary was missing the stone markers which were nothing more than rocks. The metal cross someone made was in pieces on the ground.
It's a shame. There used to be caretakers of the cemetery, but they keep getting older. People keep finding these sensitive places and messing them up. Look at Brickbrea. All covered in spray paint.
This is why I don't share site locations with just anyone.

Reactions: MuckSavage

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
10 Mile Hollow Update

I had some time to kill before it got depressingly dark at 3:30 on Sunday Afternoon. Decided to pay a visit to 10 mile Hollow and a large foundation on the edge of Greenwood Forrest in Bamber. A gate has been installed at 10 MH. Because of its proximity to the airport can I assume this area is owned by the county? I did not see any signs for the county or state (Double Trouble). The garbage is now gone except for some old smashed up electronic junk that has been there for a long time. Someone fixed the metal street sign cross by replacing the bolt and using some wire. There was a single metal/plastic chair randomly sitting there and 1 Miller High Life bottle sitting on the cross. As I sat in the chair and pondered its very existence. It made me think of other locations with random chairs. Amatol and Blacks Bridge are two that come to mind quickly.

On the way home I stopped by the large foundation and cellar hole from the old orchard operation and train station. Both are near an area that has a few decent sized hills. Best part of the day- NO ticks or chiggers!

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I have never been to ten mile hollow, should probably check it out sometime. I used the location on the Cook Topo when I made my 2020 map. Is that right? My map shows open space (as of 2020) with green shading.
I believe it to be owned by the county, yes. If you park at The canoe access west of Dover Forge, you can walk across the road easily enough. finding 10 MH is another matter. I ended up bushwacking through the brambles to the clearing

Reactions: Boyd

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
I've made an appointment to speak with someone at the Lacey Historical Society. I'll share with you all what I learn.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've made an appointment to speak with someone at the Lacey Historical Society. I'll share with you all what I learn.
Ask them what they know about Zebulon Collins who is buried in the Hollowfield cemetery at Ten Mile Hollow. Also ask them if they knew his house was located 30 feet from Black's Bridge. Here is a photo of his house at Blacks Bridge on the right. The far building was the Chiselers Club, Tilly Collins and eventually Eureka. I have a map showing that the house on the right was his house. I will look for it.

In the meantime, here is his house looking towards 539 with Bull's Gut behind you. It is hard to believe that crabs were even in there.

zebulon.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you ever show me that Guy? That is really cool. Remember Friendship Sue? Her mom would do a great job painting that.
I did show you once but it was an old dark copy I had. I have since acquired a better copy.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a map showing that the house on the right was his house. I will look for it.

I was not able yet to find the better map showing the location of Zebulon Collins house. However, here are two semi poor maps showing it. However, one is misspelled as Colliers.

zeb1.jpg

This one appears to say the main house was his and it is 237.6 feet away from the bridge, but another one I have says 20 feet or so.

zeb2.jpg

Reactions: Boyd