Dover Forge

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I cleaned a couple gutters on my house yesterday, so I treated myself to a walk in the far end of Dover Forge at dusk;

Hidden Creek. Not often visited:

BACKCREEKZ.JPG

Same creek, downstream:

FRONTVIEWZ.JPG

Jumbled view of cedars:

WOODVIEWZ.JPG

Vine on burned cedar:

VINEFIREZ.JPG

Coopers?

HAWKZ.JPG

The cedar at Dover forge is unique in that it is wide and shallow, appearing like a substantial river. I don't know of any other Pine Barren River that has this look this far upstream:

CEDARZ.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice. And all for doing your gutters. Mine will be clean by tomorrow.

Guy

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Very nice pics!
I canoed the Cedar Creek about a month ago. Put in on Lacey rd. and took out at rt.9, we were supposed to go a little further to a beach in Lanoka Harbour for take out but we ran out of light.
The creek was great! Very clean and clear especially for cedar water. The creek only averages about four feet wide for the first 2.5 hrs. Tight twisty turns, lots of fun. Once you reach the Dover Forge area it opens up wider. (as shown in the above photo) This is where the local canoe livery puts in. Once you cross the dam in Double Trouble the creek resembles the other famous Pine Barren canoeing rivers.
Mike

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you all, for your kind comments.

Yes Ben, after a fashion it is. I believe it is a class one river. Up in the headwaters it has very little impact from pesticides, large developments, etc.

The one thing that may affect it in the future is the septic systems in Bamber (like mine). And yeah, that does bother me. So far our sandy soil filters pretty good.

I own the lot next door to me (100 by 200). You need an acre to build though, so it can't be sold and is valued at $8,000. If they announced next week sewers were to be put in, it would shoot up to 10 times that minumum. So, sewers would be good for 2 reasons!

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
So is the creek wide up there because of a beaver dam, or what?
There was not much of a water level difference on either side of the beaver dam when I was there. I think it's just from the lake backing up the creek.
If you never canoed the Cedar Creek I highly recomend it. It's a great trip!