Downeast Maine

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Oh wow, too bad that's so far from where I'm going to be.

Here's a map link to those locomotives. You can see them on Google Satellite view.

How drivable are these kinds of logging roads? Can you drive a car down without destroying it or getting stuck, barring doing stupid things?

Cool!! I was looking for them near the trestle. There used to be a TV show on logging in that area; I would do it in an SUV, not sure how a car or its tires would do, especially if it rained. Those roads may be private.

Found the show;

http://www.americanloggers.com/

I went on a late summer road trip up north before I had to get back to teaching. Me and the lady drove to Portland for the night, hiked the Pemetic Mountain Trail up at Acadia, went on to Saint John in New Brunswick (where my cell was stolen) and hiked a really nice trail at Fundy National Park. The Coastal Trail takes you to Herring Cove where you can see how far out the tides go. There are raft rides that will take you on the Bay of Fundy and let you ride in the tidal bore. We then drove all the way up to Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia and hiked the Middle Head Trail. Great views of the Atlantic and saw three bald eagles. Absolutely beautiful up there.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I went on a late summer road trip up north before I had to get back to teaching. Me and the lady drove to Portland for the night, hiked the Pemetic Mountain Trail up at Acadia, went on to Saint John in New Brunswick (where my cell was stolen) and hiked a really nice trail at Fundy National Park. The Coastal Trail takes you to Herring Cove where you can see how far out the tides go. There are raft rides that will take you on the Bay of Fundy and let you ride in the tidal bore. We then drove all the way up to Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia and hiked the Middle Head Trail. Great views of the Atlantic and saw three bald eagles. Absolutely beautiful up there.
Dan
How did they get your phone? Break into your car? I guess Canadians have their trash as well.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I didn't notice it gone for about thirty minutes, but I put my phone down on the hotel lobby counter next to me and was looking at a map of the area. Someone must have copped it then. My gf couldn't believe a canadian would steal haha.
Looks like we don't have a monopoly on turds. I could almost understand it in a country where folks have nothing, I said almost! But in a country like Canada you know the bastard wasn't starving. Human trash is about what it is.

Stamos

Scout
Jun 11, 2009
Shamong
We have a small turn of the century cabin about 30 miles outside of Calais. Sadly, we don't get to go up as often as we'd like. Hopefully next spring we will take a long weekend and make the 14hr drive up.
2012-10-14_17-32-50_998.jpg
2012-10-13_17-06-35_62.jpg
2012-10-13_07-20-49_918.jpg
2012-10-13_16-37-39_875.jpg
2012-10-13_17-04-08_70.jpg

We have no electricity, wifi signal, running water or formal bathroom facilities.... and we love it that way.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
For anybody who is interested, here are the photos that I took during my trip to Downeast Maine last week.

What an amazing place.
Would that first one of a boardwalk be Orono Boardwalk? That bog has to be about the prettiest place I"ve ever been.I was there at this time of year. Okay I clicked on the picture and it is Orono Bog. Yes I was there two years ago in October and it was gorgeous.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Look what I found! The same exact shot you took Ben! only in color.Looks like we were standing in the exact same spot!Actually I think you were just a bit closer to the two trees.

Attachments

• IMG_3387.JPG
    IMG_3387.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
Reactions: Teegate

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yup. They're rebuilding the boardwalk. It's Trex about halfway through, and then goes back to wood right around where I snapped that photo. I really liked that walk. Probably my favorite part of Bangor, besides the LL Bean Outlet. :)

Reactions: manumuskin