Drought coming?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The odds are improving... now 60% :)

Saturday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 51. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 64. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Odds are good, but we need much more than showers; the humidity is 27% around here, so most of it will evaporate as soon as it reaches the ground, probably won't even make puddles.. Accuweather is forecasting 1 inch plus Sunday night and more rain during the week. Time will tell. A couple of tropical storms would certainly help.

And maybe a rain dance or 2 :dance: :dance:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Was up in Mt. Laurel today and there were light sprinkles all the way home, probably nothing measurable but it has certainly raised the humidity level. Looking more promising for the weekend into Monday now too.

Saturday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday: Periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 65. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday Night: Periods of rain. Low around 46. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday Night: Scattered showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 40%

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Fishing this past weekend..the water levels were actually very high deep in the pines, much to my surprise. I noticed a lot of beaver activity which might be playing a role.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I fished the Toms this past week for trout and the river was very low. I was able to walk the entire stretch of river we fish in hip boots. Chest waders are the norm.

The wet areas in the FRM area are very dry for April, water levels are low.

I can never remember a spring this dry. Lawns came out winter dormancy and are now going into drought dormancy. It felt more like July 16th Monday as opposed to April 16th. I pray that the weather pattern changes real soon.

Chris

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The thermometer said 70 degrees but it sure felt a lot warmer when I went on a short hike in Belleplain. Feels really humid for a change. And the next few days have a good chance of breaking the draught. Add this all up and we have the potential for somewhere between 2.10 and 3.75 inches of rain. That's a lot. :)

Saturday: A chance of showers, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. High near 76. South wind between 8 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday Night: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then showers likely. Low around 52. North wind between 8 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday: Periods of rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 60. North wind between 11 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Periods of rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Monday: Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The thermometer said 70 degrees but it sure felt a lot warmer when I went on a short hike in Belleplain. Feels really humid for a change. And the next few days have a good chance of breaking the draught. Add this all up and we have the potential for somewhere between 2.10 and 3.75 inches of rain. That's a lot. :)

Could it be? The rain dances worked? :eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My rain gauge says 0.19 inches so far here (it usually seems to read a bit low though). Looks like there could be a lot more on the way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You need to change the thread name to flood warning.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got a nice soaking here, rain gauge says 1.55 inches now. There is a flood warning but I am not in the area.

FLOOD ADVISORY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
900 PM EDT SUN APR 22 2012

DEC003-NJC005-007-015-019-021-023-027-035-PAC017-029-045-091-101-
230645-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FA.Y.0003.120423T0100Z-120423T0645Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
CAMDEN NJ-HUNTERDON NJ-MERCER NJ-MORRIS NJ-SOMERSET NJ-BUCKS PA-
MONTGOMERY PA-PHILADELPHIA PA-DELAWARE PA-GLOUCESTER NJ-NEW CASTLE DE-
CHESTER PA-MIDDLESEX NJ-BURLINGTON NJ-
900 PM EDT SUN APR 22 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED AN

* URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR MINOR FLOODING OF POOR
DRAINAGE AREAS IN...
WESTERN CAMDEN COUNTY IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY...
HUNTERDON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY...
MERCER COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW JERSEY...
MORRIS COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...
SOMERSET COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...
BUCKS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...
MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...
PHILADELPHIA COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...
DELAWARE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...
GLOUCESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY...
NEW CASTLE COUNTY IN NORTHERN DELAWARE...
CHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...
MIDDLESEX COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...
NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY...

* UNTIL 245 AM EDT

* AT 852 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR SHOWED MODERATE TO
HEAVY RAIN NEAR AND NORTHWEST OF THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR.
RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM THE EVENT GENERALLY HAD TOTALED IN EXCESS
OF AN INCH AS OF 845 PM...AND AMOUNTS OVER SOME OF THE AREA ARE
EXPECTED TO ULTIMATELY EXCEED TWO INCHES. THESE AMOUNTS ARE
EXPECTED TO CAUSE POOR-DRAINAGE FLOODING...AND THEY MAY CAUSE THE
FLASHIER CREEKS AND STREAMS IN THE AREA TO FLOOD.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We are back to cooler weather again, with a few nights in the 30's - hope this doesn't produce a freeze like we had in 2010. But they have a winter storm warning in effect in Northern PA!

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EDT
TUESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN AND WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA
INCLUDING THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 IN THE VALLEYS...WITH A FOOT OR MORE ON
THE MOUNTAIN TOPS.

* TIMING...THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES OF
OVER AN INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES WILL OCCUR THROUGH THE MIDDAY
HOURS MONDAY. THE VALLEY LOCATIONS WILL SEE RAIN MIX IN WITH THE
SNOW.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looks like more help is on the way....

Thursday: Rain and thunderstorms likely before 11am, then periods of rain and possibly a thunderstorm between 11am and noon, then rain likely after noon. High near 64. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
The surface is certainly dry and crunchy but the Skit and Batsto rivers at Hampton Park are flowing well as of this morning. The water is clear, not deep but no exposed sand at the canoe launch. In the summer it is too shallow to paddle, but not now. I have been digging post holes on my property, a 148 foot gravel mountain, and the dirt I bring up is damp from surface to 4 feet.

Batsto camp went fron stage 2 yesterday to stage 3 today.

If the Batsto is low we're in trouble. It's almost ok as far as water level's go

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
By CAITLIN DINEEN Staff Writer |
A lack of rain has officials asking Garden State residents to conserve water.
“Overall our major water supplies, including reservoirs and deep aquifers, remain in good shape,” state Department of Environmental Protection Agency Commissioner Bob Martin said in a release Friday. “But after too much precipitation last year, we’ve now swung in the opposite direction, with months of below normal precipitation.”

Martin said the most concerning result of the lack of rain is that stream levels and shallow groundwater supplies throughout the state are “severely distressed.”
“Our goal is to begin moderating demand by asking residents to voluntarily conserve water before peak summer use begins,” he said.
According to Martin, precipitation deficits in the state range from 3.2 inches below normal in Cape May County to 5.8 inches below normal in Morris County.
“Using water responsibly by voluntarily taking steps such as reducing lawn and landscape watering, limiting car washing at home, and turning off the faucet while brushing teeth and shaving, can save millions of gallons of water daily,” Martin said.