Drought conditions

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
This is the downstream side of the first armored spillway. Normal times it is invisible from the dike road, under feet of water.
Drought at FP, Jakes Spung Section (2).jpg
=

Reactions: bobpbx

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
The frog even made it back in the house too. The family had another sighting but by the time I got home they couldn't find him.:bang: I have no idea how they are getting in and I probably never will. I've always had them outside but never inside. I can only guess it's because it's so dry out.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I just drove High Crossing - Hampton Furnace road and it is completely dry except for a mud hole at HC, which you can drive around. Never the less, someone was playing in the mud hole last night.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Had a smell off and on all day of a brush fire. Now it's consistent with it cooling off for the night. I hope it's only someone burning brush in their yard.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I've been watching Tuesday night and Wednesday with interest too, seems like the potential for about two inches of rain (which isn't much relative to the drought but it's a good start!)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Well, help certainly does seem to be on the way. Maybe in a big way. Looks like the potential for 5-6 inches of rain over the next week with the system today and the one coming on Saturday/Sunday.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A bit of a jog toward us from JOAQUIN this morning and an upgrade to H status if it gets here.

"Confidence in the details of the track forecast late in the period
remains very low, since the environmental steering currents are
complex and not being handled in a consistent manner by the models.
Given that a wide range of outcomes is possible, it is too soon to
say what impacts, if any, Joaquin will have on the United States." - NOAA

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just bought a new generator yesterday; I'm ready. Also replaced my 10 year old snowblower. So if we don't get any snow this winter, you can thank me for that (we got a few warm winters when 46er replaced his). :D

Reactions: dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just bought a new generator yesterday; I'm ready. Also replaced my 10 year old snowblower. So if we don't get any snow this winter, you can thank me for that (we got a few warm winters when 46er replaced his). :D

Thank you Boyd, your sacrifice is appreciated, but it better not be blizzard city around here this winter ;)

What genset and blower did you get?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Generac RS7000e Generator:
http://gens.lccdn.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/portable-recreational-power/rs series/0k8513-rs7000e-spec-sheet.pdf

The electric start is great and the big muffler makes it noticeably quieter than my 10 year old 5500 watt Troy-Bilt. Of course, it is still pretty loud but the closest neighbor is pretty far away and the sound of his big whole house generator drowns out everything else anyway.

Craftsman 24" Snowthrower:
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-07188173000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Was originally planning to get a Toro, but this was on sale and in stock at a local store. It is not so heavy duty as my old Toro, but that machine is a monster, no way to fit it into an SUV. I have had bad luck getting people to pickup/deliver equipment for servicing, so I wanted something I could transport myself. Got this and the generator at a local store with their own large service dept (15 miles away, which is about as "local" as things get for me, LOL).

Also doing a bit of remodelling to create a small equipment room so I can store this stuff inside and keep it in better condition. Getting tired of all the rodent damage, dirt and moisture in the outdoor shed. Will be able to place the genny next to the open door and let it run inside now. And wiring my electric water heater into a circuit on the generator transfer panel… no more cold showers! :dance:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Very nice Boyd. I wish I had waited another year on the snow blower; they came out with a new differential that makes turning it pretty effortless. Getting to old to manhandle the beast. :rolleyes:

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/promotions/auto-turn

Your gen has a transfer panel? Mine doesn't, same size as yours. :argh: I had a 6 circuit panel put in the basement for manual switch over for the furnace, kitchen and one circuit of outlets.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
No the generator doesn't have a transfer panel, I wired one next to the breaker panel 10 years ago, maybe the same kind you have?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-30-Amp-6-Circuit-Transfer-Switch-30216A/202216471

I always knew there was a way to connect the water heater and run it on lower voltage but didn't follow through. This site explains everything very clearly and shows several ways to do it. My 4500 watt water heater will only draw 1125 watts at 120 volts. Of course it will heat the water more slowly, but that's fine. :)

http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-water-heater-for-120-Volt.html

BTW, looks like we got about 2" rain here last night. Was surprised when I saw the wheelbarrow so full of water when I went out today. I think they were only forecasting 1/4".

Last edited:
Reactions: smoke_jumper

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yes, I am building what amounts to a large closet that is completely sealed off from the house and has a door opening directly outside. It is all the way at the opposite end of the house from the bedroom. And if I have any concerns, I have a heavy 10/3 twistlock extension cord to locate the generator in the yard or tool shed.