Drowning at Lake Oswego 6/4/04

P

Pineyprowler

Has anyone heard anything about the drowning that happened on the fourth of july at lake oswego? I can't find anything about it in the paper. I was on my way back there to take a swim and there were dive crews and rescue boats in the water and I already knew what was going on. Apparently and don't quote me on this but a 16 year old boy was canoeing and fell off the boat and didn't come back up when he took a swim. By the time I was leaving they were pulling the body out. My prayers go out to his friends and family. Does anyone have any info on this?

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Oswego Safety

I have not heard anything about this. Does this mean that the Oswego may not be safe to paddle in anymore? What were conditions like when he drowned? I am concerned about the the lake and whether it is safe to paddle in anymore. By the way, you wrote the date 6/4/04, it was actually 7/4/04.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they were a 16 and an 18 year old.both mexicans.the 16 year old drowned when he fell out of the canoe.this is what I heard on the radio.they weren"t wearing life jackets.I assume the boy couldn"t swim.this is all I know.
Al

P

Pineyprowler

My mistake, I did write 6/4 when it was 7/4. I'm suprised that someone would even go out on the water without a life jacket if they could not swim. It's a sad story

P

Pineyprowler

I'll have to see if I can find an article on it somewhere on the internet. I have yet to see anything in the Burlington County Times about it.

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
This was in today Courier Post:

Mexican boy dies in canoe accident
Washington Twp. -
A 16 year old boy from Mexico, who had been in the United States for less than month, drowned Sunday while on a canoe trip in the Pines Barrens.
New Jersey State Police said David Ramos, who had been living with a Willingboro family, was pronounced dead at the scene after the 1 pm accident.
Police said Ramos, was not wearing a life jacket, and a friend had rented a canoe at Lake Oswego in this rural Burlington County community.
The canoe tipped about 150 yards from shore and Ramos fell into the water. His body was found about 3 pm in about 10 feet of water. His friend Daniel Jimenez, 18, was able to swim to shore and was not injured.
Several people on the shore who wittnessed the accident attempted to locate Ramos, but were unsuccessful, police said. (Courier Post staff witers)

Piney1125

Scout
May 1, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Pineyprowler said:
My mistake, I did write 6/4 when it was 7/4. I'm suprised that someone would even go out on the water without a life jacket if they could not swim. It's a sad story

I thought it was either the rules of the state forest that you had to have a life jacket to go on any kind of boat. I would assume it is still safe to canoe or kayak there, am I right?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the law is their must be one life jacket per person on the boat(coast guard approved) but you don"t have to wear it.
ten feet is about as deep as oswego lake gets.musta been down near the dam.shame
Al

P

Pineyprowler

If you stand on the bridge facing the damn all the way across the lake, about 200 feet out in the water there is a small island. About 300ft from that island towards the middle of the lake is where they found his body. It is a shame.