Dumping in Pinelands / Crackdown needed

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
illegal dumping is, sadly, an old story in the Pine Barrens and elsewhere in South Jersey.
So, too, is the annual Pine Barrens 4-Wheel Drive Cleanup. The cleanup has been an annual event for four-wheel-drive enthusiasts for 12 years. This year's cleanup was held Oct. 27 in the Wharton State Forest. And the haul was jaw-dropping ... as it is every year.

The participants, more than 300 people in almost 150 four-wheel-drive vehicles, filled two full-sized Dumpsters. And that doesn't include the six pickup trucks of tires that were hauled out of the woods and other items too big for the Dumpsters - furniture, boats, a purple couch and a pile of 4-foot-long, 18-inch-diameter asbestos-coated pipes.
Then there was the mammoth pile of roof shingles. "We had 14 people, and it took us four hours. I never want to see another stinking shingle in my whole life. My fingertips are killing me," said Terry Schmidt, the cleanup coordinator.
Litter is bad enough, but this illegal dumping is litter on steroids, much of it apparently left in the woods by unscrupulous contractors.
To us, such dumping is an act of violence against the Earth. It is simply unfathomable that someone - so many someones - would haul trash into an otherwise pristine state forest and dump it there. Who are these people?
Thank goodness for the four-wheel-drive enthusiasts who take part in the annual cleanup. Imagine if this cleanup hadn't been done every year for the last 12 years. And what do these volunteers get for their efforts? Free wings at an after-party at the Pic-A-Lilli Inn just up the road in Shamong Township.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_a9480c1b-34e3-5db3-b028-da6ddaeba3f0.html

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
What I'm noticing lately are plastic bags of leaves dumped. This is homeowners or "cut and run" landscapers. At least empty and take the bags. I have seen dump truck loads of leaves and grass clippings and this is for sure landscapers.

When you see furniture it's usually a homeowner. Small pickup load of building debris could also be homeowner or small "trunk slammer" handyman. What I feel is causing some of this is towns charge homeowners for removal of furniture, tires or they have a once in 3 month trash pick up like where I live. Of course if your a resident of the town you are allowed to legally bring your trash to the township yard where it will be taken. People either don't know or can't be bothered and feel it's worth the chance to dump and run. What's really insulting is an area just cleaned will have a truck load dumped by the end of the week there.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
As much as I hate to admit it, I know a few places where the dumped garbage draws in rarities. ;)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
As much as I hate to admit it, I know a few places where the dumped garbage draws in rarities. ;)

An interesting point. As in other aspects of life, I often find myself describing the virtues of such things in terms of shades of gray rather than black or white. Look at all the refuse that has been dumped in the ocean. I think it's called the artificial reef program. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

However, they would be in the area anyway so we really don't need the trash.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The trash issue with the rarties is a unique one. The reality, some of the best habitat I know for T/E species was created from trash, almost comical. If forest were properly managed the animals would have natural alternatives, but in many areas the trash is all they have. I use to try and remove the trash and create natural alternatives, but in some areas removing the trash without providing alternatives may have harmful effects. If the trash was never dumped in the first place it would be an issue, but people are damn slobs.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I should say the trash enhances the habitat (eventhough its unsightly). The animals would be there without it, but in some areas it aids them.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I saw this pile of debris yesterday (see pic below) on the dirt road that parallels the old start of the Batona Trail in Bass River about an eighth of a mile north of Stage Road.

Over the last 10+ years I have observed the same scenario play out over and over again in this same spot. Household or construction trash is dumped there and it stays for 6-12 months until somebody comes along and cleans it up, then shortly afterwards more trash is dumped in the same exact spot. It's a never ending cycle.

I think the problem of illegal dumping in the Pines is that there isn't enough deterrence. The people who dump their garbage in the woods perceive that it's highly unlikely that they'll get caught and if they do get caught the consequences are minimal. That perception needs to be changed and here is how I would do it.

1) Make the penalties for illegal dumping severe. Some municipalities have enacted fines of $50,000 and a year in jail for illegal dumpers.

2) Enact a bounty system. Offer a sizable reward of at least $5,000 to people who provide information that leads to the conviction of an illegal dumper. Guarantee their anonymity so they don't fear reprisal from the illegal dumper and pay out the reward from the fine imposed on the illegal dumper.

3) Post signs at the entrance of the dirt roads where the majority of illegal dumping is taking place warning that the area is patrolled and under video surveillance (even if it's not) List the penalties for illegal dumping on the warning sign and the reward available to people who provide information that leads to the conviction of an illegal dumper.

4) When an illegal dumper is caught and prosecuted, release that information to the media (newspapers, radio & TV) and encourage them to publicize it. This will help deter potential illegal dumpers.

DSC00066 (Small).JPG

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
To us, such dumping is an act of violence against the Earth. It is simply unfathomable that someone - so many someones - would haul trash into an otherwise pristine state forest and dump it there. Who are these people?

A resident from Trenton was arrested and charged over the weekend. There was an address found on a piece of mail in the pile of shingles....
More details to follow as they become available :dance:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A resident from Trenton was arrested and charged over the weekend. There was an address found on a piece of mail in the pile of shingles....
More details to follow as they become available :dance:

Great news Terry !
On top of any fines, we should be able to bill for our time to clean it up and the hauling and disposal fees incurred by the State.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Out on bail for $1,000?

As part of this guy's punishment, he should be required to personally clean up every speck of trash along every dirt road that goes through Wharton Forest.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
On top of any fines, we should be able to bill for our time to clean it up and the hauling and disposal fees incurred by the State.

No Scott, thank YOU and Dottie and your neighbors....for coming to our rescue at the dumpsters and joining in....
My idea was to make him clean a pile larger than the one that 12 of us worked on for hours, by himself.... "hair of the dog" reasoning. I know where there is another pile. :bang: I would watch (and feel good about it).

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Sadly he's just being charged and not indicted and sentenced yet. I bet a crisp $5 bill that he'll get off with little more than a slap to the wrist.

I hope you're wrong Ben but maybe he'll go in front of a miserable old cuss of a judge that happens to live in the pines.
We can only hope.