Dunes in The Pines

The aerial photo of the fire while charcoaling was interesting. I think you may have missed that Gabe.

He had a 1931 aerial photo of the area right were we were, and it showed what must have been a charcoal burn. Next to the pit you could see the area where the ground was dug up to place over the pit. Unfortunately, the woods around it caught fire and you could see where it had expanded from the pit outward. He felt they had started back burns to control it but were semi successful. In the end they stopped it before it spread too far.

He also talked about the Davenport Branch near Whiting. Hopefully I get this correct.

Notice the river flow is not irregular starting at the top left of the photo and moving down as it curves to the lowest part of the river. But as the river starts curving upward toward the balloon you can see the river does not flow straight, and seems to meander. One would think that was caused by the flow of water creating the curves over time. He says that is not what causes that.

Thousands of years ago when this portion of NJ was frozen but not covered in ice, winds would whip across that portion of the river depositing sand that was blasted off of stones and rock that were on the surface of the ground, which in time allowed grass and other plants to grow. As things thawed and the water traveled through that area, it was restricted by the plants and sand and would swirl around creating the circular area’s that could be viewed much better in his older aerial photo’s. In any event, as the water swirled around it created a meandering river on the right side leaving the left side flowing relatively normal.

davenport.jpg

I hope I got that correct. :bang:

Guy

Guy:

Although I could not attend Mark's presentation on the Newtonville Dune Field due to presenting a program of my own in Philadelphia, I have discussed Mark's work with him many times and I think you described the cause and effect process rather well! Mark is a natural-born teacher who enthusiasm and devotion to his subject matter is absolutely infectious--even if you are not 100% in agreement with him. It is a privilege to call him my friend!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sunday seems to be a popular day for presentations!

Thanks for confirming I was at least close :) I was worried that I may have had it wrong.

Guy