Eagle, Bald or Golden?

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
To All,

There are some who say this is a Golden Eagle. I’m thinking juvenile bald Eagle. Does anyone have an opinion?

Last March it was feeding on a deer that was hit by a car on Route 206. There were two and some days three bald eagles feeding on another deer about 300 ft away. This eagle was larger by far then the mature Bald Eagles (full white heads). It came every morning and was the only one that would feed on this deer. These pictures are not very good, I had to take them from the car window but here they are ………..
Golden Eagle 011.JPG
Golden Eagle 002.JPG
Golden Eagle 006.JPG
Don

Reactions: Pandot

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Looks like a Baldie to me. Could be a resident bird, and the migrants are passing thru NJ now thru the end of the year, the goldens move thru in Oct/Nov, not aware of any resident Goldens around here.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Looks like a Baldie to me. Could be a resident bird, and the migrants are passing thru NJ now thru the end of the year, the goldens move thru in Oct/Nov, not aware of any resident Goldens around here.

I think baldie is right. Also, resident I'm sure.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Golden. There was a prior remote camera capture of a golden scavenging dead geese a few months back-and I'm pretty sure I saw one about 2 months ago.

geezerfinneran & Dogg57

Those remote camera pictures were unbeleiveable. There are several bald eagles around here but no golden as of yet. Some have both federal and state bands on them. Others have none at all.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Yes Stump Junper, I hear of a lot of sightings from the tabernacle boys. Tabernacle and Shamong are good areas for eagles. Here is one I saw on the Lake in 2011. The green band on its right leg is a NJ band meaning it was born in NJ. The silver band on its left leg is federal.
image0-004.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
thumbnail.jpg

One morning last December I looked out my window and saw this eagle sitting in the dead tree in my backyard. I’m sure this is a Golden Eagle. It was bigger than a Bald Eagle. It sat there all morning then flew away. As it glided across the lake the wingspan was unbelievable. Next morning it was back sitting in the tree again then another one flew in (yes two of them) and sat next to it. By the time a got my phone and got back to the window they were flying down Springer’s Brook heading southeast from Indian Mills Lake. Sorry I could not get a better picture but all I have is my phone.