Egg Harbor Township Nature Reserve

I stumbled on this one years ago when trying to make my way home through a blizzard, but the wife wasn't too keen on taking our newborn out hiking in single degree temperatures. Finally made it back a few weeks ago.

It lists at 6 miles of trails, but the ones through the woods are closely webbed together, and ones by the lake run parallel to each other (one on the ridge, one by the lakside), so we managed to get 3 1/4 miles out of it while hitting a pretty good piece of the reserve.

ehtnaturereserve01.jpg

Sledding hill -
ehtnaturereserve04.jpg

ehtnaturereserve09.jpg

ehtnaturereserve27.jpg

ehtnaturereserve31.jpg

ehtnaturereserve33.jpg

ehtnaturereserve40.jpg

ehtnaturereserve44.jpg

The website claims these are bog iron, what do you guys think?
ehtnaturereserve49.jpg

More info and pictures and such -
https://southjerseytrails.org/2017/02/12/ehtnaturereserve/

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a restored sand mine? The stones look like sand stone. I would think bog iron would be a darker color. But, I'm no geologist, just a guy who likes to take a guess at it.

Reactions: MikeBickerson

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Intriguing. Looks like they did the proper thing in mine restoration. Except I would have removed the pipes. Makes it look unsightly.

T

Toothy Critter

Not yet, but I did find a new place we fished yesterday before the storm hit. good numbers and decent size. Sshhh..... :)
Will get to EHTNR as soon as it warms up for real Was told there were bass, but they're not too active yet. Where as Pickerel produce in the winter more readily