Electric Range-Free

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Just got natural gas in my neck of the woods after 30 years of waiting and I will be giving away our electric range.
It is a Kenmore with the smooth cooktop. It is in pretty good condition with a few dings and hoof prints from deer jumping out of the pan.
:)
It works very well and would be good for a summer kitchen or gun club, provided you have 220v service available.
PM me if you are interested.
Scott

Reactions: bobpbx

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We got natural gas in December. We went with a furnace and hot water heater so far. Thirty six years of sludge in the oil tank. Gas is sure alot cheaper than oil!

P1020496.JPG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There's a big gas pipeline that runs down Rt 50, just a few miles from me, but they will never run gas pipes back into the woods where I live - same thing with cable TV. Suits me just fine though. :) The house had a propane gas fireplace when I moved in, and it started getting flakey (and scary) last year, so I yanked it out.

Propane is really expensive, I was spending hundreds of bucks a year just to run that fireplace occasionally and it threw out almost no heat. Good riddance! Now I have been trying to get Modern Propane to pickup the unused tank ever since last October without success, which is annoying.

Primary heat is a woodstove I installed in 2006. The house has electric baseboard heat which I almost never use, but it can be handy since each room has its own thermostat.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We have had gas for as long as I can remember, the cabin had oil :eek:. I dreaded the coming heating season up there as we bought bulk oil at be beginning to save some money, but the bill bulged my eyes every time. About 5 years ago we had to go with a new HVAC system the old one was breakig down a lot and parts were getting hard to find. Went with a high efficiency unit, 92-93% something like that. When we got our first bills I thought something was wrong as they were roughly 2/3rds less and I called the installers back. All they did was laugh and said they get a lot of similar calls. The amazing thing is the chimney is a PVC pipe.

If you have all electric, a lot of folks up north use propane for cooking, that's what my brother does.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I switched from an old oil furnace to a 90+ propane furnace in my NY house back in the 90's. This was the latest hi-tech thing at the time and they were still working out the kinks. There was a recall on the furnace a year later due to problems with rusting heat exchangers, so they installed a new one for free. A couple years later, the same thing happened so I ended up with 3 new furnaces. It also had the PVC pipe instead of a flu, which was pretty cool... until we got a big snow that clogged the pipe and the furnace wouldn't light. This stumped everyone at first, since the things were so new. They have an airflow sensor inside, and as part of the start-up routine, it must be satisifed that the furnace has sufficient airflow or it won't light.

I also had propane for cooking and hot water in that house. Really, it sucked for cooking, the burner flames really were not as hot as a natural gas stove, and yes, we did have the correct model for propane. Anyway, this was all many years ago. I thought about switching my water heater to propane here, since that would give me hot water during power outages (my generator can handle the other stuff). But seeing as I just replaced the electric water heater two years ago, I will wait. All things being equal, I'm just not so crazy about having a big tank of explosive gas next to the house also. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
When I was a kid in St. Louis, one night we woke up to a big "boom". Went outside and the whole front of the neighbor's house across the street was blown off due to a gas leak - you could see right inside. It was a brick two story house. Luckily there was a park in between our house and theirs - the debris was scattered all over the park. They were really lucky that their bedroom was in the back of the house, so no injuries. But that made quite an impression on me...

It's been at least 20 years since I've lived in a house where natural gas was available.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
An on-demand will never pay me back and they require yearly maintanence, an acid wash.

For our water they just need a flush with CLR once a year, tank heaters need a plain flush as well, but the buy-in is 2-3 times a tank heaters cost. Supposedly, they can last up to 15-20 years, not that I care as I'll be dead by then.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Range went to oven Heaven.
Placed it on the curb for Twp. pick-up and a scrapper nabbed it the first night.
I did keep the killer death power cord for I don't what reason.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe the range went where it was hot :D and not to heaven.