Email Clients

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
whats the word on email programs latley?
Outlook, thunderbird, windows live?
any recommendations?
likes, dislikes?
I just got a new computer and I am looking for a good email program.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No matter what anyone recommends, someone else will disrespect it and say they love theirs more and it's better.

I use Outlook and I like it. I don't like Windows Live though, seems onerous.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Thank You.
My last one was windows live and I really didnt like it.
Im trying thunderbird, but that seems even worce.....................

scouter

Dec 28, 2009
I'm personally a fan of syncing all my emails up to gmail. Then I always have all my email where ever I happen to be. I user thunderbird to keep it backed up on my computer as well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a Mac and hate Microsoft, but I have to admit the Mac version of Outlook is the best email program out there by far. I say go with Outlook.

Guy

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Yes, windows live I'm giving up on. My new computer wants to insist on it and keeps asking me to load it but I'm going to squash that somehow.
I set up thunderbird but I really don't love it.
I'm probabaly going to go back to Outlook.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really, I use my iPhone for the majority of my mail. When I want to write something longer I use Apple Mail on my Mac or use a web client (Mac or Windows). At work I used Outlook but I just never "bonded" with it like you guys have. Frankly, I just don't like it when people do stuff like using different fonts and colors in their e-mails, or scans of their signature.

I used to send tons of e-mail, and it was kind of a running joke with friends at work about how long they were and how quickly I would respond. These days, I don't send much mail at all. Until just a few years ago, I used a text-based unix mail client called "Pine" and used the unix text editor "vi" to compose my mail. Force of habit... I was probably doing this before many of you even had a computer. :D I first started using e-mail around 1985.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
wow 1985............I wish I was involved with computers back then........
I also wish I had a mac.................

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Actually my involvement with computers goes back a lot farther than that. I learned to write programs in ALGOL using punch-cards on a Burroughs B5500 back in 1967. I thought I was on the bleeding edge when the university installed a time-sharing system around 1969 using Teletype ASR-33 terminals and BASIC, since you could actually interact with the computer personally in real time (with the punch card system, you had to submit your "deck" to the computer nerds in white coats to run your program. :D

Around 1974 I was writing programs in FORTRAN using another time-sharing system running on an IBM 360 at Carnegie Mellon, then got my first computer - an Apple ][ in 1978. Here's a scan of the faded receipt. You can't even read the name of the computer anymore but that 4546 was the serial number and $1225 was a LOT of money back then!

apple2.jpg

Got my first Mac (a 512k "fat Mac") in 1985 when I started working at SUNY. Things have come a long way since then, but I'm not so ure that it's all good. Back in the old days we called it the "personal computer revolution". The "revolt" was against what was often called the "data center priesthood" where ordinary people were completely dependent on them for computing tasks. Today, we seem to have come full circle with all this stuff about "the cloud". Is this the "revenge of the priesthood"? We seem to be coming back around to the point of being completely dependent on data centers for most of what we do on our computers...

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Wow very interesting.
It all has it's pluses and minuses
And sometimes its a little scarey to think about.
That really was alot of money...................since thats what my last laptop cost a few years ago.

My first computer was a mac and wish I never switched.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Actually my involvement with computers goes back a lot farther than that. I learned to write programs in ALGOL using punch-cards on a Burroughs B5500 back in 1967. I thought I was on the bleeding edge when the university installed a time-sharing system around 1969 using Teletype ASR-33 terminals and BASIC, since you could actually interact with the computer personally in real time (with the punch card system, you had to submit your "deck" to the computer nerds in white coats to run your program. :D

Around 1974 I was writing programs in FORTRAN using another time-sharing system running on an IBM 360 at Carnegie Mellon, then got my first computer - an Apple ][ in 1978. Here's a scan of the faded receipt. You can't even read the name of the computer anymore but that 4546 was the serial number and $1225 was a LOT of money back then!

apple2.jpg

Got my first Mac (a 512k "fat Mac") in 1985 when I started working at SUNY. Things have come a long way since then, but I'm not so ure that it's all good. Back in the old days we called it the "personal computer revolution". The "revolt" was against what was often called the "data center priesthood" where ordinary people were completely dependent on them for computing tasks. Today, we seem to have come full circle with all this stuff about "the cloud". Is this the "revenge of the priesthood"? We seem to be coming back around to the point of being completely dependent on data centers for most of what we do on our computers...

Interesting stuff Boyd. I spent 37 years at one of the major NJ pharmaceuticals managing their large system tech support group starting with the 360's. Got started wiring 407's and the like. Also had a pair of Head skis's called 360's, which are in the basement somewhere; they'll be collectible one of these days :) The company had an association with Carnegie-Mellon when we installed our first Cray of many for our research folks, the last one installed before I retired had the waterfall feature. I remember the 'revolt' quite vividly, pandamonium in the user community weaning themselves off of TSO, but looking for help when all their data was lost and using expensive PC's as plain jane terminals. :eek: A lot of consultants made a lot of money pushing the re-engineeing mantra. I don't think it's revenge, just coming to their financial senses and the realization that centralized is oft times more effective.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The first time I ever had contact with a computer (Mac) was right after Jessica was born in 1984. We were on vacation in Vermont and had to take her to the local clinic. This was a very small town and I was impressed they were more technologically advanced than here in Jersey. Not long after that my boss bought his first Mac computer, and when he purchased his second the first one was put on a rolling cart which made it available to all of us. This was Mac System 6. It was not until 1993 that I purchased my first one which was a Mac Performa 475 with System 7.1P5 I believe. It came with 4 Ram and a 160MB hard drive. Today, it would take about 8 photo's in my camera to max out that drive.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

You got me by ten years :). I started in 1975 on an HP3000, using a teletype and storing programs on punch tape. My phone probably has 1000x the processing bandwidth and storage that that roomful of hardware had 35 years ago.