Emmor W. Mick

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have posted before about the Mick sawmill just off of Route 70 (Route 40 back then) near Ft. Dix. Today, we went looking for his grave to add to my photo collection. The below map shows his property on this 1942 survey, and two years later he would pass away.

mick.jpg

IMG_4460a.jpg

Reactions: Boyd and MuckSavage

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if his grandfather was Emmor Roberts the proprietor of Jersey Jerrys.

Good question.

Emmor Roberts was the brother of Byron who owned the packing house in Marlton when I was a kid. It was located where the Whole Foods is now. I remember walking up the high steps and the apples all on display at the top. We would play in the apple fields dodging the farm workers who would chase us off.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wonder if his grandfather was Emmor Roberts the proprietor of Jersey Jerrys.

Hmmm. I made cider for him one autumn season in 1972. I used to hitchhike there every morning from Presidential Lakes. I should have been in college, but we had no money for that and things at home were a mess.

Reactions: Teegate

jfrady

May 19, 2020
Austin, TX
wikigrave.com
Thanks for posting this here. Emmor W Mick is my great great great grandfather. I do not know much about him but I can share what I have here. I would love to find out more information on the sawmill and as to it's exact location.

alice002_Emmor Mick.jpg

Emmor writing to his future wife Alice Cobb.

DOC012.jpg

Emmor in an undated photo.

DOC013.jpg

Emmor and Alice, dated summer of 1937.

DOC028.jpg

Emmor and Alice in an undated photo.

DOC031.jpg

Looks like Emmor but I cannot confirm.

DOC032.jpg

The second to the left looks like Emmor but I cannot confirm. Dated 1917.

DOC034.jpg

The second from the right looks like Emmor.

DOC035.jpg

Unable to identify but looks sawmill related.

DOC064.jpg

Emmor 20 years old. ~1895

DOC066.jpg

Emmor, Alice, and my grandmother.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The sawmill is on private property so I will not say online where it is exactly. I will write you through the website jfrady. I was taken there by a member of this website and we were able to drive right to the sawmill ruins. At the time, we had ended our day doing something else and he asked me to follow him to a place he had found. I did not know it was private property at that point until I tried to go again and a gate was there. This was in 2006. After then I acquired the survey and realized that to even get to it we crossed the very edge of Ft. Dix property. I have seen military vehicle on the portion since then. Not on the Mick property, just the path to get to it.

Anyway, I took photos so I will post them again. It was a substantial place with apparently multiple engines and a building there also. The question is did Mick own it when it was in operation or did he just purchase the property after the fact? The structures were there in 1931, 1940. and 1956. In 1963 the main building was down and it appears some of the smaller buildings are still there. By 1970 it appears nothing is standing. The 1931 aerial shows obvious cutting in the cedar swamps near the sawmill with multiple roads though the swamp leading directly to the sawmill. It was without a doubt a sawmill.

In order to find out when Mick acquired it I would have to go to the clerks office. I currently don't have time to do that.

IMG_6460a.jpg

IMG_6461a.jpg

IMG_6458a.jpg

IMG_6456a.jpg

IMG_6448a.jpg

IMG_6447a.jpg

IMG_6444a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
2/1/1938

Emmor W. and Alice Mick, to Joseph J. White, Inc. Two tracts (1) 78.68. (2) 88 acres, Manchester Twp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
3/1/1935

Emmor W. and Alick Mick to Harrington Hand. Tract or parcel pf land north side Main Shore road (Route 9), Union Twp.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
1/25/1957

Mrs. Alice Cobb Mick

Union Township: Mrs. Alice C. Mick, 84 W. Bay St.; Barnegat, died yesterday at Paul Kimball Hospital, Lakewood. She was the widow of Emmor Mick. Mrs. Mick has lived here most of her life.

She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Estella M. Lord here, Mrs. Irene R. Castle, Toms River, Mrs. Velma M. Verba, Hammonton; three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

The Bugbee Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

jfrady

May 19, 2020
Austin, TX
wikigrave.com
3/1/1935

Emmor W. and Alick Mick to Harrington Hand. Tract or parcel pf land north side Main Shore road (Route 9), Union Twp.
Harrington Hand is my great grandfather, he ran a butcher shop in Barnegat (Union Township). I'll have to give my grandmother a call this week and see if she knows anything about the sawmill.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Emmor must have felt pretty good about the Armistice, signed just 2 months later. He likely would not have been drafted anyway, but still.

jfrady

May 19, 2020
Austin, TX
wikigrave.com
I called my grandmother last night, she was able to confirm that Emmor owned a sawmill but beyond that it gets a little hazy. Emmor passed away when she was a baby. She did say that he might have also owned a blueberry bog.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I called my grandmother last night, she was able to confirm that Emmor owned a sawmill but beyond that it gets a little hazy. Emmor passed away when she was a baby. She did say that he might have also owned a blueberry bog.

And also a blueberry field. It was right next to the sawmill.

Reactions: jfrady