Escapee loose in the Pine Barrens

B

BarryC

I didn't get all the details, but there's an escaped sex offender loose somewhere in the Pine Barrens in Bass River Township right now. They say he has a mountain bike and possibly a canoe. Apparently he's well trained in survival too.
Hope they find him soon. The Pines show up nice on TV, by the way.
Barry

B

BarryC

I don't know. Maybe he's local. I was changing channels and tuned in, in the middle of the news report on this, on 10 NBC news.
bruset said:
How did he get a bike and a canoe?

You can hide really well in the swamps.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BarryC said:
I didn't get all the details, but there's an escaped sex offender loose somewhere in the Pine Barrens in Bass River Township right now. They say he has a mountain bike and possibly a canoe. Apparently he's well trained in survival too.
Hope they find him soon. The Pines show up nice on TV, by the way.
Barry

http://www.nbc10.com/news/2385448/detail.html

Police: Sex Offender Allegedly Preys On Campground Girl
Woodsman Eludes Authorities In Woods

POSTED: 12:50 p.m. EDT August 6, 2003
UPDATED: 2:48 p.m. EDT August 6, 2003
BASS RIVER TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Police in Burlington County are looking for a known sex offender they believe attacked a young girl at a campground two weeks ago.

Robert ShultzThe attack took place at a campground in Bass River Township in southeastern Burlington County.

Neighbors said Robert Schulze is a long-time resident of the Chips Folly Family Campground. Investigators said they believe he went into hiding at the surrounding woods last month after he allegedly sexually assaulted an 11-year-old girl. Schulze was a friend of the girl's family, who visited the campground on weekends. State Police said Schulze has the capability of surviving outside indefinitely because he is familiar with the thick, wooded terrain.

"He does have a silver mountain bike, and we hear that he's been using a canoe, possibly to transport himself to and from other islands that are back here in the waterways," said John Bentivegna, of the New Jersey State Police.

Investigators said Schulze is a threat to other children in the area. He is registered as a sex offender under Megan's Law.

Anyone who knows where Schulze is located is asked to contact the New Jersey State Police.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bought a Buck knife when I was 18 and still have it. It is the 110 model. They are great knives.

Guy

When I first heard the news they said he was found on an island. On the late news they said he was found at an abandoned campground. So, was it an abandoned campground on an island or was it perhaps Ace Campgrounds? That's a pretty scary thought seeing how some members here have visited there recently.

Steve

B

BarryC

Also, Ace is way far away from the campground where he was staying, which was Chips Folly, I believe. That's near Wading River and Leektown.
bruset said:
I kinda doubt it was at Ace, unless he went after we were there. There were NO footprints there at all when we went.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Convicted sex offender arrested on island

Published in the Asbury Park Press 8/09/03
By NAOMI MUELLER
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
A two-week search involving more than 50 State Police troopers, State Police dogs, helicopters and eventually kayaks ended yesterday afternoon after police found the 54-year-old Burlington County man accused of sexually assaulting his 11-year-old neighbor on a remote island in the Wading River.

Robert Henry Schulze was arrested after state Troopers John Bentivegna and Timmy Tchir used kayaks they had borrowed from a local rental company to get to the island, Trooper Stephen Jones said.

Once there, Jones said it took police only minutes to find Schulze. He was taken off the island in a State Police boat and transported to the Tuckerton State Police barracks for processing.

Eventually, Jones said, Schulze would be taken to the Burlington County Jail.

Police issued the warrant for Schulze's arrest on July 18, four days after neighbors said they last saw him at the Chips Folly Campground in New Gretna, where he and the victim lived.

"They searched many of the areas around there, and that was just kind of a logical next step," Jones said. He said police did not know whether Schulze spent his entire time on the lamb on the island or whether he moved from one spot to another.

According to the Megan's Law registry, Schulze was convicted in 1991 for sexually assaulting a child he knew. The registry ranked him a moderate risk. Police yesterday charged Schulze with a new aggravated sexual assault charge.

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
HI BARRY,..........LORDY,THATS ALL WE NEED ...........ANOTHER SEX OFFENDER IN THE PINES..............I WAS REALLY IRATE ABOUT THAT BOOT CAMP THEY BUILT NEAR CARRANZA CAMPGROUND.............EVERY TIME I CAMP THERE , I LAY AWAKE THINKING OF ALL THOSE JUVENILE DELINQUENTS AND OLDER UP THERE,READY TO ATTACK ME IN THE NIGHT..................FUN............KARL

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
KARL said:
HI BARRY,..........LORDY,THATS ALL WE NEED ...........ANOTHER SEX OFFENDER IN THE PINES..............I WAS REALLY IRATE ABOUT THAT BOOT CAMP THEY BUILT NEAR CARRANZA CAMPGROUND KARL

Karl,

Can you tell us the year that was built? Or at least a close estimate.

Guy