Ever asked to donate a photo?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Some what different than the article but, I was asked several years ago by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Southeast Region if they could use several of my Chaffseed photos in their species profile portfolio. I said they could and I was sent a copyright agreement. It was interesting!

If I remember correctly the form was directly from the fish and wildlife and was a standard release.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I think it depends on whether one is a pro photographer, like the article's author, or not. A pro needs to care a lot more about what happens to their photos.

What do you mean by a 'copyright agreement'? Did US FWS want you to transfer the copyright to them, or to license it? Those are the only 2 options I know about.

I used to do some photography for a non-profit. I always gave them the pictures with a 'license' that lets them do anything they want with them, forever, at no charge. But I kept the copyright. That just means they cannot prevent me from doing something with the pictures, if I wanted to.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Thanks for the link. Very interesting and reasonable. The form gives you 2 choices: give up your copyright and put your work into the public domain, or keep your copyright and grant then usage rights with any restrictions you want to impose.

But I think anyone who posts pictures online, or gives away a picture for someone to use, should think about the worst-case scenarios. How would you feel if someone made money from your picture? Used your picture to promote something you object to? Tried to sue you for copyright infringement for using your own picture?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Happened to me by the non- profit I held a couple positions on. After I left them, a friend told me some of my shots had been used in their annual visitor guide without permission. I asked for a reasonable amount and got a cold shoulder so I sued them in small court for the standard advertising rate for the number of publications. Really didn't care about the money, just making a point. They hired an attorney, I represented myself and made an offer plus court costs and they accepted. Best of all they were pissed when the judge announced it in the court room :)

Reactions: old jersey girl

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Good advice. Never trust anyone, never do anything for free. Now that I've seen the light, I'll be closing down my free map websites and when Ben reads this I'm sure he'll shut down the NJPB forums which he has never made a dime from. But before he does, maybe I can sue him for the time I've spent as an uncompensated moderator. :dance:

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Good advice. Never trust anyone, never do anything for free. Now that I've seen the light, I'll be closing down my free map websites and when Ben reads this I'm sure he'll shut down the NJPB forums which he has never made a dime from. But before he does, maybe I can sue him for the time I've spent as an uncompensated moderator. :dance:

That was your choice Boyd. BIG difference. :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yep, my choice to share my creative work, not have an inflated idea of its value and not worry about whether somebody else makes a nickel from it.

Reactions: bobpbx
Happened to me by the non- profit I held a couple positions on. After I left them, a friend told me some of my shots had been used in their annual visitor guide without permission. I asked for a reasonable amount and got a cold shoulder so I sued them in small court for the standard advertising rate for the number of publications. Really didn't care about the money, just making a point. They hired an attorney, I represented myself and made an offer plus court costs and they accepted. Best of all they were pissed when the judge announced it in the court room :)

Good for you. This is what small claims court is for, and I wish more people would use it. You can avoid hiring a lawyer if you can represent yourself.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Whatever happened to my rare town of Friendship photo that I gave permission to use in a new book on the NJPB in exchange for a copy of the book? I did the same for a guy making a photo book about my old neighborhood in northern Manhattan, Inwood, but I actually got that book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd