Evolution of a Website

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was taking a look through some old CD-RWs of mine when I found a folder that I must have saved almost five years ago.

It was a (somewhat) working template of the Pine Barrens related site I used to run, called "New Jersey Crossroads"

I put it up on this server so you could get an idea of what the EARLY ideas for this site were.

www.njpinebarrens.com/xr

Note that most of the links don't work. The "about" section works, though.

B

bach2yoga

Well, it sure has grown since its infancy! I noticed you're almost at 200 members, too! Seven more to go.
You don't look any older than you did then!
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

I was not able to see any "about" section. I tried every browser I have.

Guy

B

BarryC

I am probably the only active member of your group who remembers that site. (Or am I wrong?) I remember when I first discovered it and emailing you about it, saying I liked it. Then when I put up my big links page, I added a link to that site. I remember it looking much different from the one you posted just now. And at the moment I can't remember the name of the server that hosted it. It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't come up with it. Anyway, then I remember it being down for a very long time. Somewhere around here I have printed copies of my site from back then, with a link to it, when it was called Crossroads.
My homepage is still very primitive, but it has grown to several times its original size. I kept finding more links on the subjects I like.
bruset said:
I was taking a look through some old CD-RWs of mine when I found a folder that I must have saved almost five years ago.

It was a (somewhat) working template of the Pine Barrens related site I used to run, called "New Jersey Crossroads"

I put it up on this server so you could get an idea of what the EARLY ideas for this site were.

www.njpinebarrens.com/xr

Note that most of the links don't work. The "about" section works, though.

B

BarryC

Speaking of websites evoloving, Bob Blanda's Pine Barrens Enthusiasts site used to be called The Unofficial Mullica River Website. It had a very primitive message board on it when I first discovered it. I added a link to it to my site. Then when Y2K happened, his message board got some kind of Y2K-related error that he never fixed for nearly a year and a half, during which time it didn't work. Then his site started evolving, and you know the rest.
I think on my site my first 2 links were links to the Forked River Mountain Coalition and the Pinelands Preservation Alliance sites. Now I have hundreds of links in several categories.
We all have come a long way, and I'm happy because of it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Barry,

I remember you emailing me about it. You were the one who actually gave me directions to Pasadena. I had been trying to find it forever before you emailed me.

The old site went through many changes - more so than this one has. I wish I had some of my old articles from that site, though.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Guy,

Guess it's not mac compatable. Oh well, you're not missing much.

It still is odd that I was not able to view it. I even copied the page source, loaded it into my html editor, and I still could not see it!

BTW was that the picture that I sent you a few weeks back? I have not been able to find that again.

Guy