Exploring Along The Wesickaman Creek Near Atsion

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe, but what could they be used for? Do horses eat them or any type of farm animal eat them?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they are not chestnuts like I have eaten that I bought in a bag in WV. I believe they were called horse chestnuts.paper thin hull you can peel with your fingers.Nut very soft,sweet and bright yellow..these look nothing like those.perhaps hazelnut?

Just an educated guess, but they look like the not fully developed acorn from the sawtooth oak. The sawtooths nut body is almost completly covered by a hairy cap until they are mature. They may have been killed by an early frost (they are a more southern tree) or drilled out by a nut borer (notice the bore hole in one) . Either way they are often planted around here for ornamental purposes and drop alot of acorns in a good year.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just an educated guess, but they look like the not fully developed acorn from the sawtooth oak. The sawtooths nut body is almost completly covered by a hairy cap until they are mature. They may have been killed by an early frost (they are a more southern tree) or drilled out by a nut borer (notice the bore hole in one) . Either way they are often planted around here for ornamental purposes and drop alot of acorns in a good year.

Then for what reason would someone have that many? I am still trying to figure out why someone would have that many of any type of acorn or nut.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Al & Guy,
these may be your nuts? They are Maya Nuts from South America.

Don

https://plus.google.com/photos/117332698265728013553/albums/5507258442584336177?banner=pwa

Drying+Maya+Nut+at+women%2527s+factory%252C+Guatemala.JPG

Selecting+seed.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What would be the reason for them?? If horses can eat them this may be the reason for them.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
They were for burning in a pellet stove or multi fuel stove. They were a lot cheaper than wood pellets, however they didn't burn well, hard to start and hard to keep burning. Also, low heat output. So much for that idea.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Here is an update on this thread.

I awoke on Friday morning to an email in my inbox from a man named Mike from Tennessee who had came upon this thread concerning manumuskin and my search for the property corners of the small tracks of land across 206 from the Pic-a-lilli along the Wesickaman Creek. I did not fully mention that in the original post but we were looking for them. Mike was traveling and staying in a motel and decided to write me with information that he had concerning a stone he found near his deer stand back in 1994. His father had hunted that area before he was born and he continued the tradition while in his 20's. Below are edited portions of his email's to me.

We found a stone that you would have liked out there. It looked like the same type of stone that you photographed, and it had a couple of letters crudely chiseled in it. I could probably get you within 100 feet of it with coordinates looking at Google Earth. I used to think the stone we found was the corner of one of the plots in the area that you can see here. There are three 10-15 acre plots in the Wesickaman area, other than the obvious ones that are cleared as you know along Atsion Rd. The number "51" is between them. You might have to zoom to see them.

mapb.jpg

As you would expect I was intrigued so I wrote him back with interest. His edited reply on Saturday morning.

I'm traveling and just checked in to a hotel. I will have more time later this weekend, but I know you are curious, so here are some push pins that might help. Stand 1 and Stand 2 are as exact as my hand held GPS 15 years ago. Probably within 25 feet. These are similar in style to Scott's stands (his friend), and quite high (over 30 feet) *if* they are still there.

Big warning though - the pin marked "Stone" is my estimate of where it was, just from walking by it many times. I did not record its position, just a mental picture of where it was in relation to the stands. It could be covered with brush now, and that push pin could be off by 50-100 feet. It is wider and flatter than the stones in your photos. I would estimate the dimensions at 16x12x4 inches. I believe the engraving looked like "IM" but I could be wrong.

So with his descriptions and locations of three tree stands I decided to make an early morning visit there this morning. I determined that the stone he mentioned most likely would have been the top right corner of the larger lot in the above photo. That property was first surveyed on August 28, 1792 and owned by Joshua Bispham. I set my alarm early and arrived along 206 about 6AM. I pretty much had the road to myself.

IMG_0513.JPG

The first location I would come upon is "Ladder 3" which he describes here.

And I drew a white X for stand #3, which is very easy to spot if you get close to it, because it has a 21 ft ladder built from treated 2x4s and painted brown. But alas the X is another estimate.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

Nothing was written on it but there may have been at one time. I was able to take the paper out and not damage it after all these years. Notice the stand painted brown as mentioned above.

IMG_0515.JPG

The next stand (Stand2) I should have come upon was his built in 1994. This was Mike's stand.

IMG_0519.JPG

It has a little seat up there to sit on but you can't really see it here.

IMG_0518.JPG

And then I went for the stone. He told me the exact location was uncertain and in the end it was about 70 feet off. I almost missed it as I was on the other side of the tree. This was a nice stone and find.

IMG_0541.JPG

He felt the letters were IM but it appears to me to maybe be SM with the S having a slash design to it but I am uncertain. Jessica and I will return with chalk next weekend. I had taken it out of my bag and forgot to put it back in. I do have a video of my hand tracing it and will post that later.

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

So whatever the initials are I am still uncertain if they were for the lots mentioned above. I would have to think they are but until I find more I will not really know. I tried looking for more this morning but I was just guessing. Now that I know the stone location I have a chance of being more accurate.

I would be remiss if I did not thank Mike for all of his hard work and help on this. The flurry of emails were undoubtedly while he was working and I appreciated each and every one of them. I will give him more detailed info when I get a chance.

Guy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Nice piece of work Guy. Mike knows the area well and has a great memory. Did he say if he was a local boy at one time?
It will be interesting to hear how you and Jessica make out next week.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He was from Burlington County but not very local to that area. More like the same distance that I am.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Awesome! Looks like a very hard stone.Probably too hard for the surveyor to cut deep with whatever He had.Was this a stone we were originally looking for out there.All I remember is a dangerous trek across a frozen section of swamp that had ice too thick to stomp through but too thin to bear my weight so I was reduced to stepping up on it,crashing through and trying not to fall on my face every time this happened.I also remember a very nice ridge/island that was high and narrow. I also remember finding some weird kind of nuts all over the ground back closer to the houses and think we may have found a stone back there but none out in the swamp.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have never seen a gum tree and a cedar tree so very much in love, and apparently have been so for a very long time. In fact, I'd say they are married.