Exploring Friendship Bogs Again

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica, Bob Bruneau, and I spent today exploring around Friendship Bogs looking for boundary markers. We parked at Friendship, and I then drove Bob to the gun club nearby, where we bushwhacked to the location of two sandstone markers that I previously had found. We then drove back to Friendship, and from there we spent the next 4 hours walking to find two more that I knew the approximate locations of, but was not sure if they were there.

Bob knew the area better than I did, so he led the way as we meandered around the wet area's to get to our first location. Along the way I almost caught a snake, we found a turtle, and we flushed out numerous ducks in the bogs.

Unfortunately we were not able to find what we intended to find at the first location, but a short distance away Bob was able to show us what most likely is the biggest Beaver lodge in the pines.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/3272004/IMG_3221.jpg

We headed for our second location, but because of the lack of time and some deep water, we had to return to our vehicles and call it a day. In the end we had walked 7.5 miles.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

We may try to search again, or since Bob is in the area more than I am, he may search on his own and give me his results.

Ben,

He mentioned you have an interesting site, so he does visit it apparently.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Sounds like an interesting day. Very cool beaver lodge! I like beavers, they are cool critters.
We were out there on Friday. It was a beautiful day. It was nice to see that the road had been graded.
I noticed that the larger foundation at Friendship that is missing the middle of each of its walls, and is being used for ramps for atvs and dirt bikes seems to be torn down a bit more each time I see it.
Also noticed that there is now a "No trespassing" sign on the Speedwell furnace site, which was just burned recently.
I had a group of app 25 homeschoolers and parents out there learning to orienteer, and then sent them out in small teams on a two leg hike, bushwacking with only their maps and compasses. Didn't lose a single one of 'em! The weather was beautiful.
Yesterday we were out again for a Nature conservancy trip on geology of the Pines; we visited a YMCA camp in Medford, then Apple Pie Hilll (and the sanatorium. Anyone know what that other foundation is on your left as you're coming up the hill?), and then a cedar swamp near Lake Oswego.. Not as sunny, but a great day, too.
Been swamping the last couple of nights for frogs, too. Got some pics of peepers and chorus frogs etc. that I need to develop. Also saw a couple of fence lizards on Friday.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Sounds like an interesting day. Very cool beaver lodge! I like beavers, they are cool critters.
We were out there on Friday. It was a beautiful day. It was nice to see that the road had been graded.
I noticed that the larger foundation at Friendship that is missing the middle of each of its walls, and is being used for ramps for atvs and dirt bikes seems to be torn down a bit more each time I see it.
Also noticed that there is now a "No trespassing" sign on the Speedwell furnace site, which was just burned recently.
I had a group of app 25 homeschoolers and parents out there learning to orienteer, and then sent them out in small teams on a two leg hike, bushwacking with only their maps and compasses. Didn't lose a single one of 'em! The weather was beautiful.
Yesterday we were out again for a Nature conservancy trip on geology of the Pines; we visited a YMCA camp in Medford, then Apple Pie Hilll (and the sanatorium. Anyone know what that other foundation is on your left as you're coming up the hill?), and then a cedar swamp near Lake Oswego.. Not as sunny, but a great day, too.
Been swamping the last couple of nights for frogs, too. Got some pics of peepers and chorus frogs etc. that I need to develop. Also saw a couple of fence lizards on Friday.
Renee

That sounds like you had a good time the past few days. Yes I noticed the road was graded which made Sandy Ridge Road quite sandy, but minus the bumps. We walked from the S turn on Sandy Ridge Road to Friendship on our way back to our vehicles and had to stay in the packed sand from the recent vehicles or it was tough going.

The rangers patrol Friendship often and we actually saw them while we were there. But they can't be everywhere I guess, and the vandals take advantage of that. Your kids and mine will be the last generations to see Friendship as it currently is.

I believe the building on the left going up Apple Pie Hill was the pump house. Part of the pump is still there.

When I worked at Edmunds years ago, one of the employees worked on the weekend at the YMCA camp as a cook. He invited me over and I spent a small part of the day with him. I believe that property is now owned by the township or at least someone other than the YMCA camp. I have "Medford" as one of my search items on Ebay, and there are always old postcards from there for sale.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
That sounds like you had a good time the past few days. Yes I noticed the road was graded which made Sandy Ridge Road quite sandy, but minus the bumps. We walked from the S turn on Sandy Ridge Road to Friendship on our way back to our vehicles and had to stay in the packed sand from the recent vehicles or it was tough going.

The rangers patrol Friendship often and we actually saw them while we were there. But they can't be everywhere I guess, and the vandals take advantage of that. Your kids and mine will be the last generations to see Friendship as it currently is.

I believe the building on the left going up Apple Pie Hill was the pump house. Part of the pump is still there.

When I worked at Edmunds years ago, one of the employees worked on the weekend at the YMCA camp as a cook. He invited me over and I spent a small part of the day with him. I believe that property is now owned by the township or at least someone other than the YMCA camp. I have "Medford" as one of my search items on Ebay, and there are always old postcards from there for sale.

Guy

Thanks for the info. It's a crying shame that people have to destroy things in order to have fun.

I am not sure who owns it. There was a sign that it was open only to registered users, and to wear your badge in view. There was a biathalon going on there that morning so we had to be careful to stay out of their way.

Renee

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
OSWEGO LAKE,THE BACK WAY

HI GANG,........IM TIRED OF DRIVING ALL THE WAY SOUTH OF CHATSWORTH TO GET TO OSWEGO LAKE..........IS THERE A WAY FROM WARREN GROVE...............A ROAD LEADS INTO SIM PLACE BUT THE WAY IS BARRED BY A METAL FENCE AND LOCK.......THE OTHER ROUTE ,BEAVER DAM ROAD,GOES NORTH,AND THEN TURNS LEFT.....COULD THIS BE A ROUTE TO OSWEGO.............HELP..........STROM

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Karl,

Take the paved road across from Lucilles restaurant and take the first paved road to the right. You will pass the FAA tower on your left. Here is a map that shows you the way from there. Follow the red arrows from the right side of the map to Oswego Lake on the left which is shown.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/oswego.jpg

Guy