Exploring the Desert, The Mullica, and Wescoat Bogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today Stu, Jeff, Bob, Steve, and I spend the morning and early afternoon exploring the area around the Wescoat Bogs.

We first visited what I call the "desert" area, and from there we traveled along the Mullica for about a mile. We stopped for a short time near Burlington County marker 60 and the first photo shows Bob on a peninsula along the Mullica.

6065.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

We continued on and stumbled on an old dam which at one time it appears it was used for a mill or forge.

6067.JPG

I was standing on the old cedar logs in the water for this photo.

IMG_6070.JPG

From the same point of view you can see the rise in the ground for the retaining wall of the dam area. It at one time had a small lake there that reminded me of the lake at Martha along the slag hills.

6069.JPG

Some of the group checking out old items that they found near the retaining wall of the former lake.

IMG_6068.JPG

We then did some exploring in the Wescoat Bogs. They are 63.7699 acres in size, so a return trip will be needed to explore them again.

6071.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
63.7699 acres.
There's a surveyor that wasn't shy about showing significant figures beyond that of the work at hand.
63 ac. +/- would have been more appropriate.
That is my favorite duck hunting spot in the pines.
Hunting pressure varies from: "What are you shooting at A--hole?, to: Am I the only person hunting in N.J. right now?
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
Hunting pressure varies from: "What are you shooting at A--hole?, to: Am I the only person hunting in N.J. right now?
Scott

It is easy then to know when I want to be there. That is when the "Am I the only person hunting in N.J. right now" is evident.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Sounds like a great day. I wish I could have gone.

I cancelled my dentist appointment because I hurt my back/neck moving server racks around yesterday. I hope I feel better enough to go explore tomorrow.

Edit: And nice to see Stu making a showing!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
By Stu I mean "onehand". We have so many people here with the same name, I should have been more specific.

Guy