Extreme tick bite

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
That's such an awful story. RSMF has been documented in NJ, too. I talked to a woman from Sussex county who had it and recovered. Scary stuff. It's transmitted mainly by Dermacentor variabilis, which are pretty common in some areas of the state. In the pines, it's been found in the lonestar tick, Amblyomma americanum. It's pretty scary to note that the tick doesn't have to be attached very long for it to transmit the disease.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
That's such an awful story. RSMF has been documented in NJ, too. I talked to a woman from Sussex county who had it and recovered. Scary stuff. It's transmitted mainly by Dermacentor variabilis, which are pretty common in some areas of the state. In the pines, it's been found in the lonestar tick, Amblyomma americanum. It's pretty scary to note that the tick doesn't have to be attached very long for it to transmit the disease.

That's a nightmare come true. I got a (suspected) case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever when I lived in the South. Fortunately, I got symptoms early and the doctor recognized them. He wrote a prescription for antibiotics, told me to fill it on the way home and start taking it immediately. I had no idea how bad it could have gotten.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
That's a nightmare come true. I got a (suspected) case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever when I lived in the South. Fortunately, I got symptoms early and the doctor recognized them. He wrote a prescription for antibiotics, told me to fill it on the way home and start taking it immediately. I had no idea how bad it could have gotten.

You're lucky your doctor recognized it early. I know of a few people who had Lyme's disease and they suffered with it for a long time because their doctor didn't know what they were seeing.