Factory Installed GPS

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
I have a Ford Expedition with a factory installed GPS system. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that I can get GPS disks since the one Ford provided isn't too good.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
Ben,

I did read the manual today on the OEM GPS and while there's wasn't anything worth reading or mentioning, I did find the company who makes the discs. Nav Tech http://navtech.com/

While I was at the local WalMart, I looked to see if they have any GPS units and was surprised to find out that they did. As I looked at the counter, I saw the same logo Navtech. It appers that they make not only an OEM but a portable one as well.

If you or anyone here was to recommend a portable GPS which one would you recommend? What two-way radio would you recommend since I would like to get one of those as well?

Thanks.

Ken

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Call Ford, or your dealer! They may have updated disks!

For your handheld GPS, the one Behr has looks nice. It should be fairly inexpensive and you can hold topo maps on it as well.

For radios, I'm happy with my Cobras, after I returned the defective ones I got the first time around. For group outings, since we're never that far from each other, even the cheap $30 radios should work fine.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ken,

I guarantee you that you will NEVER be able to use Topo maps on ANY vehicle navigation system. The market is too small, and the typical Ford SUV owner does not take their vehicle off-road.

Get a handheld GPS that you can put topo maps on and forget about the Ford GPS.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
Ken,

I guarantee you that you will NEVER be able to use Topo maps on ANY vehicle navigation system. The market is too small, and the typical Ford SUV owner does not take their vehicle off-road.

Get a handheld GPS that you can put topo maps on and forget about the Ford GPS.

Ben,

You're right. I contacted Nav Tech and they said the only maps (CD) you can use is theirs. I also asked them about why the Garden State Parkway doesn't show and they informed me because the map was desigend? to show only highways that had numerical designations, e.g. RT80, RT9
so, a portable GPS is on the XMas list. Hope Santa is nice again this year :D

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
In-car GPSs are cool, but they're still way too buggy.

Besides, with a handheld, you can walk around with it, save waypoints, upload data to your PC, etc. It's far more versitale than a car system.

I have a Garmin GPSV that will do driving directions as well.