Falling waters

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Took a ride up to Delaware Water Gap yesterday, had wanted to go sooner, but..... Found some falls/cascades that were still running pretty good. Place was deserted, the NPS services are not yet open is the reason I guess, still, I expected more people on such a nice day. Lots of 2 wheelers and trout fisherman. Only 1 tick and 1 roll down into a ravine. Ended the day at Hotdog Johnny's, nothing changes at that place, it's like stepping back into the 50's, except for the prices :)

Buttermilk Falls

4514802437_8b229807ce.jpg

4514805877_96384f01f5.jpg

Tillmans Ravine

4514802453_e2fc3e0061.jpg

A couple un-named

4514802429_0834df5635.jpg

4514802433_c2ffe86131.jpg

4514802423_e47c6fb8b5.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very nice photo's - I love that area but don't have time to get up there now. However (psst - don't tell anybody) I have never seen any crowds there. It always amazes me how deserted things are, especially considering the proximity to New York City. I've been up there on several holiday weekends during the past two years and practically had the place to myself. :)

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Great photos 46er! I especially like the shot of Buttermilk... about 10 years ago I was concerened that the new trail and access path would scar the site, but as your and many other pictures prove, there are angles in which the platform near the top is (nearly) invisible. The whole area, Buttermilk, Walpack, Van Campens Glen, Tillmans, Crater/Blue Mtn Lakes, and the entire Old Mine Rd corridor offer some incredible hiking and photography opportunities. Coincidentally I was up there the same day, but up at High Point State park. It was windy, yet mild when when the wind died down, and crowds were at a minimum. Passed Hot Dog Johnnys on the way home, but didn't stop.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice photo's - I love that area but don't have time to get up there now. However (psst - don't tell anybody) I have never seen any crowds there. It always amazes me how deserted things are, especially considering the proximity to New York City. I've been up there on several holiday weekends during the past two years and practically had the place to myself. :)

You stole the words right out of my mouth Boyd.

"In New York lately, as in cities generally, one seems to lose all substance, and become surface in a world of all surfaces." (Ralph W. Emerson..1842).

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Very nice photo's - I love that area but don't have time to get up there now. However (psst - don't tell anybody) I have never seen any crowds there.

Thanks, you must pick the right days :) Dunnfield Creek, Coppermine, Millbrook, Buttermilk and Tillman's always seem crowded. Dunnfield was full when we passed, but I rarely stop there anymore. It's almost impossible to get a campsite in Worthington during the middle months. I think the abundance of black flies kept them all on the roads on Sunday.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Seems like the weather finally cooperated for your trip to photograph the waterfalls. How beautiful to witness another "territory" so close to us, yet so different. On my travels to that area I have been mildly shocked at how many waterfalls exist in just short distances from the roadways. A friend who lives up there has the habit of stopping the car randomly while we are driving and saying "wait til you guys see this......" and off he goes into the forest. The photos remind me of those visits.... Thanks!

turtle

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Sunny days in the late spring through fall you'll see a couple of cars, usually, at each trailhead up there. But for the most part the utilization is low. There are a number of sites that get booked by groups pretty much right through the summer, but in terms of just people getting out and exploring it's usually pretty quiet. You get more people down toward the southern end of the park nearer to 80 than you do up north of Walpack.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
yes, easy hiking. mostly steps. rangers were great also. can't wait to see your pics from there. please post them.
KK

Thanks. Roughly how much time did it take for you? We've been trying to get out there for a while, but either weather or something else always came up. Hoping to combine it with a trip to Steamtown after the steam locomotives start to run.