Family Outing

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Let me preface with a bit about myself. Currently live in Toms River, married 8 years to a wonderful woman who grew up in TR. Two kids, one each, ages 6 and 3. Been lurking on this site for about 4 months now and this is my first post.

Armed with the wonderful knowledge I have received from you folks and doing a few exploratory drives, I am planning a trip tomorrow with the family. I've planned it in three parts, in case the wife and/or kids decide to cut it short.

For part 1, we'll travel from Bamber to Webbs Mill, crossing 539 then Pasenda Rd and continuing to what I believe to be Webbs bogs (south of RR and Buckingham...help me if I'm wrong). Will explore a the areas around the bogs and a few ruins south of Buckingham that were mentioned in another thread.

If all goes well, will go on to part 2, heading south to Pomeroy, then on to Lebanon Glassworks to do a quick inspection of the campground and surrounding area (have a travel trailer....would like to spend a night or two and hike the area this spring).

Part 3, if the kids aren't being their devilish selves by this time, will send me down 563 to 679 to visit Harrisville and then Martha and possibly on to campground at Absegami. Parkway bound for the ride home.

If you are out in the area and spot a tan F150 supercrew, it'll probably be me and the famn damily. Say hello if you like, would be nice to match a face with a screen name.

Regards, Jeff

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Welcome! Hope you have fun! :) The Pines are a great place to explore. Myself, I'll be hiking from Carranza to Batsto (hopefully) tomorrow! Should be a good day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Webbs Mill does not extent that far. You may want to take your family to the boardwalk at Webbs Mill along 539. Park at this location by the bridge and take the path in the woods to the boardwalk. They will find that interesting, especially the kids. Just keep them on the boardwalk. Make sure you go back in the spring and summer.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.88...pn=0.012842,0.026221&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

Glad to see you are now a member. Keep posting and tell us how you made out. Photo’s accepted :)

Guy

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Bear with me another day and I'll reply with the report and pics. Was a wonderful day....

Jeff

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Finally....The Report

Left the house at 10am, Dover Road to Bamber, past road to Carusoville (been there, done that. Nice Pond in the back...have to get back there at sunrise, would make for a nice pic I suppose). Walked boardwalk at Webbs Mill. Thank you Guy for the suggestion, would have gone past it. Karly, my 6 year old loved reading the signs. DJ, my little one was more interested in trying to break the ice with his feet.
watermark.php

watermark.php

From there we traveled past Pasadena to some ruins and bogs south of Buckingham. The one set of foundations seemed a bit odd to me. A main structure, only 8-10' wide, fireplace at one end, flanked by 2 other foundations (about 12' square) about 15' away on either side. Thoughts??
watermark.php

Fireplace at closer end. Notice foundation to left.

watermark.php

One of the flanked foundations.

Tried at first to drive along the north side of the bogs, just after the ruins, but the trail, full of large whoops (sp) became too narrow, so wrapped around the south side. The bogs were great. Walked down one of the dams to the sluiceway. The kids loved throwing stones out on the ice for distance, hearing the 'ping,ping,ping' on the ice. Lunch at the truck.
watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Continued around the west side of the bogs to a CCC forest restoration west of Buckingham along the PCRR.
watermark.php

From there it was south on Glassworks Road to check out the campsites at Lebanon, then asphalt roads to Harrisville and Martha.
watermark.php

Cedar swamp along Glassworks Road

At Martha took a short walk along the water. Slag piles??? Could not locate, but hey, may have walked right over 'em.
watermark.php

Martha Pond?

watermark.php

Beavers at Martha

From there it was a short drive north to locate the pumping station and then backtracked to Martha and travelled Batona to Oswego Road, down Allen Road, past Bass River.
watermark.php

GSP back home...In the driveway at 4:20. Was a great day. Most of the trip was to familiarize myself with the surroundings so I could later pinpoint a few specific areas to go back and do a thorough investigation. Asked the family what they liked most and least. Karly liked the boardwalk and tossing stones. DJ, no response, only 3 years old. My wife, the short hikes and time with the family was best. Least was the feeling of pressure from me to continue on. Guess I'm going to have to shake the habit of the hustle and bustle of the world and just 'relax' every now and then.

Till next time.....
Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like a great day. Thanks for the report.

To get to the slag piles at Martha, stand on the half hidden bridge with the fence in front of you, and walk on the left side of the stream to the hill along the pond. The slag is everywhere.

Guy

flyingn

Jan 8, 2007
Jef, Id like to bring my wife and son along if you decided to go again.... Im a newbie in the pines so I would need to tag along with someone who knows where theyare going..:)

please email me if you guys decide to go again soon..
Thanks, Frank

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
To get to the slag piles at Martha, stand on the half hidden bridge with the fence in front of you, and walk on the left side of the stream to the hill along the pond. The slag is everywhere.
That was my problem, I was on the wrong side of the stream. On the positive side, it gives me a reason to go back.

Jef, Id like to bring my wife and son along if you decided to go again.... Im a newbie in the pines so I would need to tag along with someone who knows where theyare going..
Frank, Thanks for the shot of confidence in thinking I know where I'm going. I am new to this as well, and by no means a seasoned pro like many here. I do a lot of research, scanning maps, new and old, checking aerials, and of course, reading older threads here. I'll shoot you a PM when I go again, but it will probably be without the family for the next round.

Nice to see another North Ocean County person on the site.
Thanks Ben...I actually work up in your town, on Drum Point Road. Maybe we'll bump into each other in the future, either on the street on in the pines.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and photos. Sounds like you had a good time. I think your family is right about hustling. There is alot too see, but best to take it in a bit at a time.

Jeff

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
"Continued around the west side of the bogs to a CCC forest restoration west of Buckingham along the PCRR."

Those trees always looked out of place to me. How did you learn there was a CCC reforestation there? Am I the only one who doesn't know that?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
"Continued around the west side of the bogs to a CCC forest restoration west of Buckingham along the PCRR."

Those trees always looked out of place to me. How did you learn there was a CCC reforestation there? Am I the only one who doesn't know that?

It was in the below post where we discussed it. There has been no direct evidence that it is CCC related, but the CCC did plant many of them and I would suspect that was one of them.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=4849

Guy

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
There has been no direct evidence that it is CCC related, but the CCC did plant many of them and I would suspect that was one of them.
Yeah, my bad. Largo's 'Knockin Around' thread is where I found out about it and the pics he posted (though from another area, I think) looked so nice I figured I'd check it out and snap a few myself. I should have just stated that it was just a forest restoration project without laying claim to its origins.
Here's a Live Search birdseye........
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qnmx6g8stnc3&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=17762521&encType=1
Notice the dividing line between species.